Calculating Work and Determining Conservativity for a Force F=(xy)i+(2*y^2)j

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the work done by a force F as an object is moved along a specific path, and determining if F is a conservative force. The suggested solution involves integrating over the two axes, but it is noted that the work will differ depending on the path taken. It is also suggested to calculate the curl of F to determine if it is a conservative force. The final correction is made to specify the values of x and y in the integral.
brianeyes88677

Homework Statement

A force F=(xy)i+(2*y^2)j,an object (mass=m) is move from (0,0) to (1,3) along y=3x , how much work does F do? Is F a conservative force?

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
Can I do it on the two axes?I mean ∫Fdx+∫Fdy , and because the work differ from the different road I take , F isn't a conservative force.
∫x*ydx=∫x*(3x)dx=1/3
∫2*y^2dy=36

Physics news on Phys.org
If F be a conservative force yo can get work ∫Fdx+∫Fdy

Do I have to do ∫F⋅dr , where r=(1,3)/√10 ?

You can calculate curl of F if it will be zero F is conservative otherwise it isn't.

Path is clear and work is ∫F.dr, dr=dTI+3dtj and 0<t<1 whatever F be a conservative force or not.

Correction: 'dr=dti+3dtj'

I forgot tell you which x=t and y= 3t in above integral.

Related to Calculating Work and Determining Conservativity for a Force F=(xy)i+(2*y^2)j

1. What does the equation "Work=1/3+36=37.3333" represent?

The equation represents a calculation of work, with the result being 37.3333.

2. How is the work being calculated in this equation?

In this equation, the work is being calculated by adding 1/3 and 36 together, resulting in the value of 37.3333.

3. Why is the number 1/3 included in the equation?

The number 1/3 is included in the equation as a factor in the calculation of work. It may represent a fraction of a larger task or project being completed.

4. Can this equation be used to calculate work in all situations?

No, this equation may only be applicable in certain situations where 1/3 and 36 are relevant factors in the calculation of work. Other equations may be more appropriate for different scenarios.

5. What are the units of measurement for the result of this equation?

The units of measurement for the result of this equation will depend on the units used for the values of 1/3 and 36. For example, if 1/3 represents hours and 36 represents kilograms, the result of 37.3333 would be in the units of hours-kilograms.