Calculating with Uncertainty

• Thread starter Phys.ics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the % error in the value of the density of a metal bar using the length, mass, and radius measurements with a precision of +-1%, +-2%, and +-3% respectively. The person asking for help is not familiar with calculating with errors and is looking for guidance or resources to catch up on this topic.
Phys.ics

Homework Statement

A metal bar has a length measured to a precision of +-1%, a mass measured to +-2% and a radius masured to +-3%. What would be the % error in the value of the density of the metal in the bar calculated from these?

Homework Equations

V=(pi)r^2h
D=m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I can calculate the actual density no problem.

However, i was away while we studies calculating with errors and am stuck.

If someone could help me with this problem or recommend a site/book i use to catch up, i'd really appreciate it :).

Physics news on Phys.org
I have replied to this on TSR

Related to Calculating with Uncertainty

What is uncertainty?

Uncertainty refers to the lack of confidence in the exact value of a measurement or calculation. It is a measure of the range of possible values that a quantity could take on.

Why is it important to account for uncertainty when calculating?

Accounting for uncertainty is important because it gives a more accurate representation of the true value of a measurement or calculation. It also allows for a better understanding of the potential errors and limitations in the data.

How do you calculate uncertainty?

Uncertainty is calculated by determining the range of values that a quantity could take on, based on the precision and accuracy of the measurement or calculation. This can be done using statistical methods such as standard deviation or by using error propagation techniques.

What is the difference between precision and accuracy?

Precision refers to the level of consistency in a measurement or calculation, while accuracy refers to how close the measured or calculated value is to the true or accepted value. A measurement or calculation can be precise but not accurate, or accurate but not precise.

What are some common sources of uncertainty in scientific calculations?

Some common sources of uncertainty in scientific calculations include measurement error, rounding error, instrument limitations, and human error. Environmental factors such as temperature and pressure can also contribute to uncertainty in calculations.