Calculating Wire Current and Electron Flow: A Helpful Guide | Thank-you

In summary, the conversation is about finding the current and number of electrons passing through a wire in a given time. The current is found to be 0.0051 A, and using this and the time, the charge is determined to be 0.306 C. To find the number of electrons, the charge is divided by the charge on an electron, resulting in a final answer of 1.91e18 electrons.
hshphyss
Can anyone help me with this question? Thank-you

A net charge of 51 mC passes through the cross-sectional area of a wire in 10.0 s. What is the current in the wire? How many electrons pass the cross-sectional area in 1.0 min?

I know that the current is .0051, but I'm having trouble finding the electrons. I know an amp is a coulomb per second, am I going to use C=6.3e18 somewhere? I tried 6.3e18/60 sec but that was wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: The charge on an electron is 1.6e-19 C. (6.25e18 is the number of electrons required to make one Coulomb of charge.) Start by figuring out how much charge (in Coulombs) passes in 1.0 min.

would i multiply 1.6e-19 C x 60 seconds? I have to use seconds correct?

No. You found the current (0.0051 A) so use it. Current = charge/time; you have the current and the time: solve for the charge. Then figure out how many electrons equal that charge.

I get 1.36e-5 for the charge. So is it going to be 1.36e-5/1.6e-19?

How did you get that value for the charge? (Once you get the correct charge, yes, divide it by the electron charge to find the number of electrons.)

i divided the current by 60 seconds... .0051/60 then i multiplied it by 1.6e-19 and i got 8.5e-5, but that is wrong what did i do?

Current = Charge/Time, or...

Charge = Current x Time.

(If you keep track of your units, you'll make fewer mistakes.)

yes... so its going to be current/time=charge and i got 8.5e-5 then i multiplied it by the charge on an electron 8.5e-5 x 1.6e-19 and I got 1.36e-23. Where am i going wrong?

hshphyss said:
yes... so its going to be current/time=charge
Nope. Reread what I wrote above.

my apologies after i multiplied current x time i got 0.306, and then I divide by 1.6e-19? I want to make sure I get this right becausr I am running out my submissions, thank-you for ur time

Correct. But always attach units to your answers. When you multiplied current by time you got charge, so that answer was 0.306 C. And you will divide by 1.6e-19 C per electron. Your final answer will be just a number (of electrons).

Related to Calculating Wire Current and Electron Flow: A Helpful Guide | Thank-you

What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a medium, such as a wire or conductor.

What are the units of electric current?

The unit of electric current is the ampere (A), which is defined as one coulomb of charge passing through a point in one second.

How is electric current measured?

Electric current is measured using a device called an ammeter, which is connected in series with the circuit and measures the flow of electrons.

What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) is a type of electric current that periodically reverses direction, while DC (direct current) flows in only one direction. Most household appliances use AC, while batteries provide DC.

What factors affect the flow of electric current?

The flow of electric current is affected by the resistance of the material it is passing through, the voltage applied, and the temperature of the medium. Changes in any of these factors can alter the current flow.