Calculating Wind Speed for Suspended Cylinder

In summary: It would be interesting to see how the answers compare using the two different...In summary, voko's approach is correct.
Saitama

Homework Statement

I don't have the exact problem statement but I remember the data given.

I have a cylinder suspended in mid-air.The question asks to calculate the wind speed required to keep the cylinder in this position. The cylinder is of height h and diameter d. The pressure of air is P and temperature is T. Molar mass of air M and density of cylinder is ##\rho##. Assume that the wind gust that keeps the cylinder suspended is blowing straight upwards, and that the air molecules bounce off the cylinder elastically.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have to equate the lift force due to air with the weight of cylinder. The lift force is given by ##\frac{1}{2}\rho' v^2A## where ##\rho'## is density of air and A is the projected (or effective?) area.

Here, ##A=hd## and ##\rho'=\frac{PM}{RT}##. The weight of cylinder is ##\frac{(\pi d^2 h)\rho g}{4}##. Equating them
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\frac{PM}{RT} v^2 hd=\frac{(\pi d^2 h)\rho g}{4}[/tex]

Solving for v gives the wrong answer. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have to equate the lift force due to air with the weight of cylinder. The lift force is given by ##\frac{1}{2}\rho' v^2A## where ##\rho'## is density of air and A is the projected (or effective?) area.

Not my field but I think there should be a drag coefficient in there.

CWatters said:

I don't think the lift force formula would work here. I guess I will have to apply the Bernoulli equation here.

Let ##P_1## be the pressure below the cylinder and ##P_2## above the cylinder. From bernoulli equation,
[tex]P_1+\frac{1}{2}\rho' v_1^2=P_2+\rho' gd+\frac{1}{2}\rho' v_2^2[/tex]
where ##v_1## and ##v_2## are the speed of wind below and above the cylinder.

I can calculate the pressure difference from the above equation but I feel that there's something wrong in the above equation. I have to calculate speed of wind and I have two variables ##v_1## and ##v_2##. I need a few hints.

I think you need to find out how much momentum the molecules that strike the cylinder due to the wind must carry so as to cancel out the weight of the cylinder.

This should be very similar to how the pressure of gas is found given its temperature (or the root mean square velocity of its molecules).

voko said:
I think you need to find out how much momentum the molecules that strike the cylinder due to the wind must carry so as to cancel out the weight of the cylinder.

This should be very similar to how the pressure of gas is found given its temperature (or the root mean square velocity of its molecules).

I am a bit confused. When an air molecule collide with the curved surface of cylinder, won't it bounce at an angle?

Pranav-Arora said:
I am a bit confused. When an air molecule collide with the curved surface of cylinder, won't it bounce at an angle?

I thought that the cylinder had its flat sides parallel to the ground.

But it is not really much different if it is the other way around, just find out how a ball would collide with a circular wall.

voko said:
I thought that the cylinder had its flat sides parallel to the ground.

But it is not really much different if it is the other way around, just find out how a ball would collide with a circular wall.

Please see the attachment. Is it correct?

Attachments

• cy.png
    cy.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 404
Correct. You just need to integrate over the lower half.

CWatters said:
CWatters is correct. You need to google Drag Coefficient Cylinder. This will give you the drag coefficient for air flow past a cylinder, and will enable you to calculate the upward force exerted by the upward flowing air on the cylinder. To do this, you will first need to calculate the Reynolds number, which involves the air velocity, density, and viscosity, and the diameter of the cylinder. From this you can determine the drag coefficient from the characteristic graph. Calculations like this are really simple.

chet

Chestermiller said:
CWatters is correct. You need to google Drag Coefficient Cylinder.
Based on the assumption stated in the OP, I would say voko's approach is right.
Pranav-Arora, if you change the 1/2 on the left of your equation to 2/3 do you get the right answer?

haruspex said:
Pranav-Arora, if you change the 1/2 on the left of your equation to 2/3 do you get the right answer?
It would be interesting to see how the answers compare using the two different approaches.

Chet

I am really sorry for the late reply. I had a test so I couldn't pay attention to this problem. Sorry. :redface:

haruspex said:

Nope, that doesn't give the right answer. I think that's because in the original problem statement, it was not the cylinder. It was a shark which was to be considered as a cylinder of given dimensions. I posted what was necessary.

Let the mass striking the cylinder be ##dm##. Initial momentum ##p_i=dm v## in vertical direction. Final momentum in vertical direction ##p_{fv}=dmv\cos(2\theta)## and in horizontal direction, ##p_{fh}=dm v\sin(2\theta)##.

Change in momentum in vertical direction, ##dp_v=-2dmv\sin^2\theta## and for horizontal direction ##dp_h=dmv\sin(2\theta)##. I think the force due to change in horizontal momentum will be zero due to symmetry.

The problem is how to express dm in terms of other variables? :confused:

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• cylinder.png
    cylinder.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 368
How much air collides with the cylinder over ## dt ##?

voko said:
How much air collides with the cylinder over ## dt ##?

##\rho' v(dt) h(d/2)\cos \alpha d\alpha##?

What is ##\alpha ##?

voko said:
What is ##\alpha ##?

I meant ##\theta##. Sorry. :redface:

If it is the angle with the horizontal, then at the very bottom of the cylinder you have dm = 0, which can't be right.

voko said:
If it is the angle with the horizontal, then at the very bottom of the cylinder you have dm = 0, which can't be right.

Then what should be the expression for dm? Can you give me a few hints?

Pranav-Arora said:
Then what should be the expression for dm? Can you give me a few hints?

I would rather suggest that you explain how you derived the formula for ##dm##.

voko said:
I would rather suggest that you explain how you derived the formula for ##dm##.

Deriving that was more of a hit and trial method.

I took a slice of cylinder of area ##h(d/2) d\theta##. Since the air molecules strike vertically, the effective area where they collide is ##h(d/2) cos\theta d\theta##. Mass is density times volume. Calculating volume here was a bit of trouble for me. I had the area, so multiplying it by ##v(dt)## looked appropriate. So I get the volume to be ##h(d/2)v(dt) cos\theta d\theta##. Now dm can be calculated. I hope I explained my point.

All of that is correct - almost, because if ## \theta ## is the angle with the horizontal, then the effective area at the very bottom of the cylinder is zero. And that is where one should expect maximum action from the air. So you need one small modification.

voko said:
All of that is correct - almost, because if ## \theta ## is the angle with the horizontal, then the effective area at the very bottom of the cylinder is zero. And that is where one should expect maximum action from the air. So you need one small modification.

Should it be ##\sin\theta## instead of ##\cos\theta##?

Pranav-Arora said:
Should it be ##\sin\theta## instead of ##\cos\theta##?

Yep.

Or measure the angle from the vertical.

voko said:
Yep.

The force due to ##dm## mass is
$$dF=\frac{dp_v}{dt}=\frac{-2dmv\sin^2\theta}{dt}=-hdv^2 \sin^2\theta cos\theta d\theta$$
(See post#12 for ##dp_v##).

Looks good?

Hmm. You diagram in #12 has the angle measured from the horizontal, and the incoming air is also horizontal. The problem says the incoming air is vertical, and you clearly regard that direction as vertical, because that is how you compute the diff in the momentum. If that is so, then I should withdraw my previous remarks - you should have ## \cos \theta ## in the effective area just like you did originally, even though the discrepancy between the sketch and the description is unfortunate.

In #12, I am not sure I understand how you got the minus sign. Other than that. I think your formula is correct.

Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora said:
Nope, that doesn't give the right answer.
I went through it again, and now I'm getting 4/3, not 2/3.
Let the mass striking the cylinder be ##dm##. Initial momentum ##p_i=dm v## in vertical direction. Final momentum in vertical direction ##p_{fv}=dmv\cos(2\theta)## and in horizontal direction, ##p_{fh}=dm v\sin(2\theta)##.
Your diagram seems to be on its side. So we agree you want ##\int _{-\frac \pi 2}^{\frac \pi 2} dmv(1+\cos(2\theta))##, where dm/dt = ρ hr cos(θ)vdθ?

Last edited:
voko said:
Hmm. You diagram in #12 has the angle measured from the horizontal, and the incoming air is also horizontal. The problem says the incoming air is vertical, and you clearly regard that direction as vertical, because that is how you compute the diff in the momentum. If that is so, then I should withdraw my previous remarks - you should have ## \cos \theta ## in the effective area just like you did originally, even though the discrepancy between the sketch and the description is unfortunate.

In #12, I am not sure I understand how you got the minus sign. Other than that. I think your formula is correct.

I am extremely sorry for misleading words. I tried my best to write post #12 in a proper way but I was already expecting this type of problem to occur. Sorry. :redface:

And my formula is wrong. I forgot to take into account the vector nature of momentum. Hence ##dp_v=dmv(1+\cos2\theta)##.

Thanks for the help and your time voko, I have reached the correct answer. :smile:

The correct answer is:
[tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{3g\rho \pi dRT}{16PM}}[/tex]

haruspex said:
I went through it again, and now I'm getting 4/3, not 2/3.
Yes, it does give the right answer. Did you search for the drag coefficient?
Your diagram seems to be on its side. So we agree you want ##\int _{-\frac \pi 2}^{\frac \pi 2} dmv(1+\cos(2\theta))##, where dm/dt = ρ hr cos(θ)vdθ?
Yes. :)

Pranav-Arora said:
Yes, it does give the right answer. Did you search for the drag coefficient?
No, I just treated it as molecules bouncing off the curved surface, as you did, and got the cos(θ)(1+cos(2θ)) integral.

Related to Calculating Wind Speed for Suspended Cylinder

1. What is a cylinder suspended in air?

A cylinder suspended in air refers to a cylindrical object that is held in place without any support or contact from surfaces or structures. It is essentially floating or hanging in the air due to the forces acting on it.

2. How is a cylinder suspended in air?

A cylinder can be suspended in air by using a variety of methods such as magnetic levitation, air pressure, or by creating a vacuum. In some cases, it may also be suspended using a combination of these methods.

3. What is the purpose of suspending a cylinder in air?

Suspending a cylinder in air can have various applications, such as in scientific experiments to study the effects of gravity or to demonstrate principles of physics. It can also be used in industrial processes, such as in conveyor belts or transportation systems.

4. What factors affect the stability of a cylinder suspended in air?

The stability of a cylinder suspended in air can be affected by several factors, including the weight and shape of the cylinder, the strength and direction of the forces holding it in place, and external factors such as air currents or vibrations.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to suspending a cylinder in air?

Suspending a cylinder in air can be technically challenging and may require precise control of forces and conditions. In certain cases, the weight or shape of the cylinder may also limit its ability to be suspended in air. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance or interference from other objects may affect its stability.