Calculating Weight on Another Planet

In summary, the conversation involves an astronaut on another planet dropping a 1-kg rock and finding that it falls a vertical distance of 2.5 meters in 1 second. The question is then posed about the weight of the rock on this planet, with options ranging from 1 N to 5 N. The conversation then shifts to discussing the force of gravity on this other planet and how it relates to the weight of the rock. Eventually, it is determined that the force of gravity on this planet is -5 m/s^2, resulting in a weight of 5 N for the 1-kg rock. The formula used to calculate this is d=1/2gt^2.
CollegeMom
Okay I'm stuck...Here's the problem I'm dealing with:

An astronaut on another planet drops a 1-kg rock from rest and finds that it falls a vertical distance of 2.5 meters in 1 second. On this planet, the rock has a weight of:
a) 1 N b) 2 N c) 3 N d) 4 N e) 5 N

first of all which planet is "this planet?" does he want to know what it would weigh on Earth?

If the rate of free fall on Earth in 10 m/s squared, then would the force of gravity on the other planet be 1/4 of that at 2/5 m/s?

I'm not sure if I'm going in the right direction with this...how do I know what the force of gravity is on this other planet? If I know that won't I be able to relate that to 1-kg being equal to 10 N on Earth (as is 1-kg = 1.6 Newtons on the moon because of gravity being 1/6 that of Earth)?

I'm feeling totally lost...please help soon!

Physics news on Phys.org
x = x_0 + v_0 t + 1/2 a t^2
-2.5m = 1/2 a (1 s)^2, a = -5 m/s^2

F_g (aka wieght) = mg = 1kg(5 m/s^2) = 5 N

Aha!

Okay...I get it!

So I use d=1/2gt^2

:wink: THANK YOU!

Related to Calculating Weight on Another Planet

1. What is weight in physics?

Weight in physics is the measurement of the force of gravity acting on an object. It is different from mass, which is a measurement of the amount of matter an object contains.

2. How is weight calculated?

Weight is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by the acceleration due to gravity. The formula for weight is W = m x g, where W is weight, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the difference between weight and mass?

The main difference between weight and mass is that weight is affected by gravity, while mass is not. Weight can change depending on the strength of gravity, but mass remains constant.

4. How does weight affect the motion of an object?

Weight plays a role in the motion of an object through the force of gravity. This force causes objects to accelerate towards the ground, and the weight of an object can also impact its momentum and trajectory.

5. How does weight change with altitude?

Weight changes with altitude because the strength of gravity changes. As altitude increases, gravity decreases, so objects will weigh less at higher altitudes compared to at sea level.