Calculating Wavelength of Sound Using Tuning Fork and Submerged Pipe

In summary, the conversation is about a narrow plastic pipe that is partially submerged in water and a tuning fork is held over its open end. The sound produced by the tuning fork becomes louder at two different heights (17 cm and 51 cm) when the pipe is slowly raised. The question asks to determine the wavelength of the sound and to find the distance from the top of the pipe where the next increase in loudness will be heard. Formulas mentioned include T=delta t/N, F=N/delta t, F=1/T, V=F(lambda), and Fbeat=|F2-F1|. The suggested method is to make a drawing and use the rule that pressure minima land on surfaces while pressure maxima land in free
Hellohi

Homework Statement

A narrow plastic pipe is almost completely submerged in a graduated cylinder fulll of water, and a tuning fork is held over its open end. The pipe is slowly raised from the water. An increase in loudness of teh sound is heard when the pipe has been raised 17 cm and again when it has been raised 51 cm.

A) Determine the wavelength of the sound produced by the tuning fork.

B) If the pipe continues to be raised, how far from the top of the pipe will the water level be next increase in loudness is heard?

Homework Equations

T= delta t/N
F= N/delta t
F=1/T

V=F(lamda)
Fbeat=|F2-F1|

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello people, I'm having a problem understanding the section on this and the question I posted above is the very first question. My teacher said I can't use the formula Ln=(2n-1)lamda/4 or Ln= nlamda/2 . Could you please show me how to do this question with the formulas I listed above? Fast help would be appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I usually find it easier to make a drawing and sketch in the envelope of a 'typical' pressure wave that is resonating inside the enclosure. A simple rule is that pressure minima (where the envelope pinches down to zero width) 'want' to land on a surface, whereas the pressure maxima want to land in free space (want to occupy the full width of the pipe). The pattern is somewhat like stacked figure-eights (or interlaced sine waves).

Take a look http://www.physics1.howard.edu/undergraduate/Labs/GenLab1/10-resonance.pdf" .

Figure 3. is apropos.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello thank you for your help.

Related to Calculating Wavelength of Sound Using Tuning Fork and Submerged Pipe

1. What is a vibrating column of air?

A vibrating column of air is a phenomenon that occurs when air molecules are set into motion, creating sound waves that can be heard by the human ear.

2. How is a vibrating column of air created?

A vibrating column of air is created when an object, such as a guitar string or vocal cords, causes the air molecules around it to vibrate at a specific frequency.

3. What are the factors that affect a vibrating column of air?

The factors that affect a vibrating column of air include the length, density, and temperature of the air column, as well as the frequency and intensity of the vibrating source.

4. What is the significance of vibrating columns of air in music?

Vibrating columns of air are crucial in the production of music, as they are responsible for the creation of different pitches and tones. Different instruments and vocal techniques produce unique vibrating columns of air, resulting in a wide range of sounds and melodies.

5. How are vibrating columns of air used in scientific research?

Scientists use vibrating columns of air to study sound waves and the properties of different materials. This allows them to better understand the physics of sound and develop new technologies, such as medical imaging and acoustic levitation.