Calculating Wavelength in Young's Interference Experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses a Young's interference experiment performed with monochromatic light and the calculation of wavelength using given data and equations. The conversation also clarifies the use of n in the formula for yn.
elementozzy
So I got a warning for just posting questions so I'll do as best as I can to try and put effort lol

Homework Statement

A Young's interference experiment is performed with monochromatic light. The separation between the slits, d, is .50 mm, and the interference
pattern on a screen L = 3.3 m away shows the first maximum y1 = 3.4 mm from the center of the pattern. What is the wavelength?

GIVEN DATA

d=.50mm

L=3.3m

y1= 3.4mm

Homework Equations

Yn=(nλL)/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to know if I'm attempting this right.

I started off by plugging in y1=3.4mm, L=3.3m and d=.50mm

Pretty simple.
3.4=(nλ3.3)/.5

1.7=(nλ3.3)

.5151...=λ

?

Am I right by plugging in 1 for n?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quoting from the text you provided "first maximum y1 = 3.4 mm".

So... Am I right?

elementozzy said:
So... Am I right?

Do you need to ask? the formula given is for yn, you were given y1, what do you think n is?

Oh I just needed to make sure. So yn(subscript), whatever is in the subscript is just n?

Related to Calculating Wavelength in Young's Interference Experiment

What is optics?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of light and its behavior, including how it interacts with matter.

What topics are typically covered in 11th grade optics homework?

In 11th grade optics, students typically cover topics such as reflection, refraction, lenses, and mirrors. They may also learn about topics such as color, polarization, and the principles of geometric and physical optics.

Why is optics important?

Optics is important because it helps us understand how light works and how we can use it in various applications. This includes everything from designing lenses for glasses and cameras to developing technologies such as lasers and fiber optics.

What are some real-life applications of optics?

There are countless real-life applications of optics, including in the fields of medicine, telecommunications, astronomy, and photography. Optics is also used in everyday objects such as glasses, mirrors, and microscopes.

What are some tips for completing optics homework?

Some tips for completing optics homework include reviewing class notes and textbook materials, practicing sample problems, seeking help from a teacher or tutor when needed, and using online resources such as simulations or interactive tutorials to enhance understanding.