Calculating Wavelength and Intensity in Opposing Phase Vibrations

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a wave passing by two vibrating decoy ducks, 1.5m apart, which are in opposite phases. The question involves determining the wavelength for this situation and making assumptions about frequency and velocity to simplify the problem. The group also discusses the standard intensity of an earthquake and the concept of out of phase waves and their corresponding wavelengths. Drawing a picture is suggested to aid in understanding.
SwAnK
hey, i need some help for this question/

Question: A wave passes by two little decoy ducks which are vibraing in opposite phase. They are 1.5m apart. I've two possible wave lengths for this situation.

So I am guessing you have to make up a frequency and velocity, so i was going to use 1000Hz and velocity of 10m/s, to make things easier. Also, since its in opposite phase isn't that half a wavelength?

also does anyone know the standard intensity of a standard earthquake??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture of the wave, it'll make things easier. And yes, if they are exactly out of phase, they're half a wavelength apart (or 3/2 wavelengths, or 5/2, etc) since the question probably wants you to find largest possible wavelength (since it could get infinitely smaller) all you have to do is double the distance. The frequency and velocity don't mater, because that only changes how fast they are oscillating! Draw a picture, that'll help you see what I mean.

thanx a lot quantum cat, drawing it does help too! but the wavelength would be 1and3/4, not 3/2? if there out of phase.

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Wavelength and Intensity in Opposing Phase Vibrations

What is vibrating in opposite phase?

Vibrating in opposite phase refers to two objects or systems vibrating in opposite directions at the same frequency. This means that when one object moves in a certain direction, the other object moves in the opposite direction simultaneously.

How does vibrating in opposite phase occur?

Vibrating in opposite phase can occur naturally, such as when two pendulums are attached to the same support and swing in opposite directions. It can also be intentionally created by using electronic devices such as speakers to produce sound waves with opposite phases.

What is the significance of vibrating in opposite phase?

Vibrating in opposite phase can have various applications in science and technology. It can cancel out unwanted vibrations, improve sound quality, and create stable standing wave patterns. It is also used in some medical and engineering fields for precise measurements and adjustments.

What are the effects of vibrating in opposite phase?

The main effect of vibrating in opposite phase is the cancellation of the original vibrations. This occurs because the two objects or systems are moving in opposite directions, which results in the waves being out of phase and cancelling each other out. This can also lead to a decrease in overall energy and amplitude.

Is vibrating in opposite phase always beneficial?

No, vibrating in opposite phase is not always beneficial. In some cases, it can have negative effects, such as causing unwanted interference or vibrations. It is important to carefully consider the application and potential consequences before intentionally creating opposite phase vibrations.