Calculating Wave Speed & Distance from Boat

In summary, the speed of waves on a lake depends on frequency. For waves of frequency 1.0 Hz the wave speed is 1.56 m/s; for 2.0 Hz waves the speed is .78 m/s. The 2.0 Hz waves reach you 120 seconds after the 1.0Hz waves generated by the same boat. How far away is the boat.
Resmo112

Homework Statement

the speed of waves on a lake depends on frequency. For waves of frequency 1.0 Hz the wave speed is 1.56 m/s; for 2.0 Hz waves the speed is .78 m/s. the 2.0 Hz waves reach you 120 seconds after the 1.0Hz waves generated by the same boat. How far away is the boat.

Homework Equations

we have 2 velocities and 2 frequencies the only equation I can find that includes both of those variables is
v=Lambda *f

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm studying for my final, I'd THINk you could just times the time by the velocity and that'd give you the distance between the the person and the boat. but the problem is it's the DIFFERENCE between 2 waves, that's confusing me, if you multiply 1.56 m/s * 120 s you end up with 187.2 which is really close to the actual answer which is 190m. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason you notice the funny fact that 1.56 m/s * 120 s = the answer is because the first wave travels twice as fast as the second wave.

One systematic way to set up the problem uses only the basic fact that x = vt. Since they've given you the wave velocities, you don't need to do anything with the frequency, wavelength, or any other properties of waves. All you need to know is that they are moving objects with known velocities.

Let x be the position of the boat.
v1 = 1.56 m/s the velocity of 1.0 Hz waves.
v2 = 0.78 m/s the velocity of 2.0 Hz waves.

t1 = the time for the 1.0 Hz waves to reach you.
t2 = t1+120 s the time for the 2.0 Hz waves to reach you.
x = v1 * t1 = v2 * t2
= v2 (t1 + 120 s)

and now solve for t1 and you will see the funny fact emerge.

hi,

so, we have two waves moving from point A to point B, so they go the same distance, let's call that [itex]d[/itex]. but, they are going at different speeds, so they take different times. we don't know those times, but we know the difference between them, so would could say that [itex]t_{fast}=t_{slow}-120[/itex]. now just apply [itex]d=v t[/itex] to both waves.

cheers.

Write two separate expressions for the time it takes each wave to reach you, one for each frequency. Take the difference of the two times and see what you get.

I get 120 when I do that. I set it up like this

V1*t1=V2*t2 and since T2= T1+120

V1*T1=V2*(t1+120)

V1=1.56 m/s
V2 = .78 ms so

1.56m/s *t1 = .78m/s*(t1+120)
factor the .78 through

1.56*t1 = .78t1*93.6

subtract the .78from 1.56

.78T1 = 93.6 ohhhh wait that's T1 so T1 = 120 t2 + 240 so the total time it takes for the wave to get to me! is 240 seconds so T2 * .78 = the total distance.

Thank you guys so much

Related to Calculating Wave Speed & Distance from Boat

1. How is wave speed calculated from a boat?

Wave speed can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the wave by the time it takes to travel that distance. This can be determined by measuring the distance between two wave crests or troughs and dividing it by the time it takes for the boat to pass between them.

2. What factors affect the wave speed from a boat?

The speed of waves generated by a boat can be affected by the boat's speed, hull shape, and weight. These factors can impact the size and shape of the waves, which in turn affects their speed.

3. How does a boat's speed affect the distance of waves?

A boat's speed directly affects the distance between waves. The faster the boat travels, the longer the wavelength of the waves will be, resulting in a greater distance between them. This is known as the boat's hull speed.

4. Can wave speed and distance be calculated in different bodies of water?

Yes, wave speed and distance can be calculated in any body of water as long as there is enough space for the waves to form and travel. However, certain factors such as water density and wind speed may affect the calculations.

5. How do you use the calculated wave speed and distance from a boat?

The calculated wave speed and distance can be used to determine the boat's efficiency and performance. It can also be helpful for predicting the behavior of the boat in different water conditions and for making adjustments to improve its speed and stability.