Calculating wave-length using path-length difference?

• Thread starter wizzpowa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, Homework statement asks to find the average wavelength of sound waves using the relationship for the path-length difference. Using the data collected, the student was able to calculate the wavelength using the equation λ = V / F.
wizzpowa

Homework Statement

Hey guys, doing a lab in where we are analyzing a standing wave inside of a pipe. We recorded data points as we pulled out this tube where we saw the amplitude of the wave reach maximums and minimums (this was with using 2000 Hertz first and 1000 Hertz next)

In the analysis, it asks to " Using the data collected, calculate the
average wavelength of the sound waves using the
relationship for the path-length difference."

I know how to calculate wavelength normally, using the equation λ = V / F. But how can you find wave-length wit the 'path-length difference'? Thanks!

Homework Equations

λ = V / F.

The Attempt at a Solution

Confused, do not know how to approach the problem to solve for average wavelength

Physics news on Phys.org
also, I can give my data points for the max and min's of that is any help! :D

The experiment gradually changes the length of the pipe, right? Do you know about harmonics in pipes, and how they relate to nodes, antinodes and wavelengths?

wizzpowa said:
also, I can give my data points for the max and min's of that is any help! :D

Well you have other equations such as V= λ/T where T is the period and from that you can conclude that V=λ*N where N is the frequency , and to me it looks like you did the experiment with 2 frequencies 2KHz and 1KHz. Count the wave length with both frequencies then add them up and divide by 2 to get your answer.

haruspex: Correct, the length of the pipe gradually increased. I know that in the pipe, it's a standing wave, right? Since the frequency of the waves are the same. I know that when the waves are aligned it is constructive interference, and destructive interference on the flip side. I'm just confused on what exactly path length difference is, ( I know the definition but am still confused) and how you can relate it so you can solve for average wave length.

mtayab1994: what do you mean by "count the wave length?" It is asking me to find the wavelength, using the relationship for the path-length difference. The only variables I have are the frequencies, and the data we measured by increasing the distance of the pipe and recording the maximum and minimums. I just don't understand how these max and min points are helpful in finding the wave length through the path-length difference.

wizzpowa said:
haruspex: Correct, the length of the pipe gradually increased. I know that in the pipe, it's a standing wave, right? Since the frequency of the waves are the same. I know that when the waves are aligned it is constructive interference, and destructive interference on the flip side. I'm just confused on what exactly path length difference is, ( I know the definition but am still confused) and how you can relate it so you can solve for average wave length.

mtayab1994: what do you mean by "count the wave length?" It is asking me to find the wavelength, using the relationship for the path-length difference. The only variables I have are the frequencies, and the data we measured by increasing the distance of the pipe and recording the maximum and minimums. I just don't understand how these max and min points are helpful in finding the wave length through the path-length difference.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/light/u12l3b.cfm

I think this should help you. Just read up on it.

wizzpowa said:
I know that in the pipe, it's a standing wave, right?
Yes, but think about the nodes and antinodes. Is the pipe open or closed at the ends, or one of each? What can a standing wave in it look like? What does that mean about the possible number of wavelengths (could include a fraction) in the standing wave when the pipe resonates?

Related to Calculating wave-length using path-length difference?

1. What is the path-length difference?

The path-length difference is the difference in distance traveled by two waves from their respective sources to a given point. It is a crucial factor in calculating the wavelength of a wave.

2. How is the path-length difference calculated?

The path-length difference can be calculated by taking the difference in the lengths of the two paths that the waves travel. This can be done by measuring the distance from each source to the given point, or by using trigonometric functions and the angle of incidence of the waves.

3. What is the relationship between path-length difference and wavelength?

The path-length difference is directly proportional to the wavelength of a wave. This means that as the path-length difference increases, the wavelength of the wave also increases. Similarly, as the path-length difference decreases, the wavelength decreases.

4. Can path-length difference be negative?

Yes, path-length difference can be negative. This can occur when one source is closer to the given point than the other source, resulting in a negative difference in path lengths.

5. How is path-length difference used in real-world applications?

Path-length difference is used in various fields such as optics, acoustics, and radio wave communication. It is a crucial factor in determining interference patterns, resonance frequencies, and signal strength in these applications.