Calculating Water Pump Efficiency and Work Rate

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a pump drawing water from a well and releasing it through a pipe. The conversation includes calculations for finding the speed of the water leaving the pipe and the rate at which the pump is working, as well as considerations for the pump's efficiency. The final answer for the speed is determined to be 8 m/s.
p.mather
Hello,

Was wondering if anybody could help with the following question as I am struggling, and this area is not my strong point. Note this is not homework purely self-study, out of curiosity to help me understand the subject area in more detail.

In each minute a pump draws 2.4m^3 of water from a well 5m below ground, and issues it at ground level through a pipe of cross sectional area 50cm^2. Find a) the speed at which the water leaves the pipe, b) the rate at which the pump is working. If in fact the pump is only 75% efficient (i.e. 25% of the power is lost in the running of the pump), find the rate at which it must work.

A solution with some commentary would be absolutely brilliant.

Many thanks to whom can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) volume flow rate = (2.4/60) SI units
should be equal to (AREA*speed) = (50 cm^2)*speed = (0.25*speed) SI units
therefore speed = {2.4/(60*0.25} m/s
by LAW OF CONSERVATION OF VOLUME (MASS, assuming incompressible liquid)

(b) Now for calculating power, take density of water as 1000 Kg/m^3
density * volume gives mass.
so amount of mass pumped per second can be obtained
this multiplied with acceleration due to gravity and height(5m) would give you the amount of power required to pump water.
Divide your result by 0.75 to get actual answer.

Thanks for you help.

so when working a) i seem to get ... 0.16 however i believe the answer is 8m/s

should i have done 2.4/(60*.05)=0.8 however have i messed my units up somewhere?

Thanks again.

ok, that's my usual silly mistakes. i don't know why i squared 50 and made it 0.25. Obviously you are correct.

Thanks

OK, 50 cm^2 = 0.005 m^2 and not 0.05 m^2 . Got your point. The answer is 8 m/s.

Related to Calculating Water Pump Efficiency and Work Rate

1. What is the purpose of a water pump?

A water pump is used to move water from one location to another. It is commonly used in irrigation systems, household plumbing, and industrial applications.

2. How does a water pump work?

A water pump works by creating a pressure difference that causes water to flow through it. It uses a motor or engine to power a rotating impeller, which creates a suction force that draws water into the pump. The impeller then pushes the water through a series of chambers and out of the pump.

3. What factors affect the work done by a water pump?

The work done by a water pump is affected by several factors, including the type and size of the pump, the distance the water needs to be moved, the elevation change between the source and destination, and the flow rate of the water.

4. How is the work done by a water pump measured?

The work done by a water pump is measured in units of power, typically in horsepower (hp) or watts (W). This measurement takes into account the amount of water moved, the distance it is moved, and the time it takes to move it.

5. What are some common examples of work done by a water pump?

Some common examples of work done by a water pump include pumping water from a well to a household water tank, circulating water through a swimming pool, and transporting water for agricultural irrigation. It is also used in industrial processes such as powering machinery and cooling systems.