Calculating Water Pressure: Hazen-Willams Formula for 24' Tank & 650' Distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of water pressure at the bottom of a tank using the Hazen-Williams formula. The formula can be rearranged to give a pressure drop per length of pipe, and the Darcy-Weisbach equation is also mentioned as an alternative. The pressure at the bottom of the tank is calculated using the formula and the pressure at the end of the 8" plastic pipe is determined using Bernoulli's equation.
Steve E
I have a water tank that is 24' tall. Water flows from the bottom of the tank thru a 8" plastic pipe for a distance of 650' down a hill for a elevation drop of 70'. What would be the expected water pressure at the bottom of the pipe given a flow of 20 gallons per minute? I've researched several books and they say to use the Hazen-Willams formula. Can somebody help me work thru this? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hazen williams will give you the velocity in the pipe due to pipe friction and head loss. You can rearrange it to give a pressure drop per length of pipe (so psi/ft for example)

More accurately you can also use the darcy weisbach equation but hazen williams seems to be the right match for the question you're asking.

Here is some relatively good info on Hazen williams http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazen-Williams_equation and here http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/hazen-williams-water-d_797.html

Remember that your answer for pressure loss or head loss will be per foot of pipe length, so you'll have to multiply your answer by you total pipe length.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you show me a couple of attempts or steps, I'll help you through the rest

Thanks redargon,

To figure the pressure at the bottom of the tank: Pressure = 62.4lb/cf x 24ft = 1497.6 lb/sf
To convert to square inches: 1497.6 lb/sf / 144 = 10.4 psi

Then to figure the pressure at the end of the 8" plastic water line for 20 gpm:

(4.52 x 20 (raised to 1.85 power)) divided by (130 raised to the 1.85 power x 8 raised to the 4.87 power)

That equals 0.000005665.

Is that how much pressure is lost per foot of pipe under that level of flow just based on the pipe fricton itself?

How do I account for the lower elevation at the end of the line and how much pressure that adds.

Thanks again for your help redargon.

You can use this pressure loss and Bernoulli's equation.

[tex] \left( p + \frac{\rho v^2}{2} + \rho gz \right)_1 = \left( p + \frac{\rho v^2}{2} + \rho g z+ h_l \right)_2 [/tex]
Where [tex]h_l[/tex] is your pressure loss you just calculated. You should have everything here except outlet pressure [tex]p_2[/tex]

Related to Calculating Water Pressure: Hazen-Willams Formula for 24' Tank & 650' Distance

1. What is water pressure?

Water pressure is the force exerted by water on the walls of its container or any object immersed in it. It is measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m^2).

2. How is water pressure created?

Water pressure is created by the weight of the water above a certain point. The deeper the water, the greater the weight and therefore the higher the pressure. Additionally, water pressure can be created by pumps or other mechanical means.

3. What factors affect water pressure?

Several factors can affect water pressure, including the depth of the water, the volume of water, the density of the water, and the presence of any obstacles or restrictions in the water flow.

4. What are the units of measurement for water pressure?

The most common units of measurement for water pressure are psi (pounds per square inch) and bar. In some countries, such as in Europe, the unit bar is used more commonly than psi.

5. How does water pressure impact everyday life?

Water pressure plays a crucial role in everyday life, from providing clean drinking water to powering appliances such as showers, washing machines, and dishwashers. It also helps to maintain the proper functioning of plumbing systems and irrigation systems.