Calculating Volumetric Flow Rate (Q) of Non-Water Liquids

In summary: The way to calculate the volumetric flow rate (Q) of a liquid other than water through a hole at the bottom of a tank is to use the following equation: Q = V.A. This equation takes into account the velocity of the liquid coming out of the hole, the area of the hole, and the height of the liquid above the hole in the tank. However, calculations for fluids with high viscosity can be tricky, so it is important to include viscosity when estimating Q.
Noushka
Hey, I was wondering how to calculate the volumetric flow rate (Q) of a liquid other than water through a hole at the bottom of a tank.

I know that

Q= V.A

and

1/2.ρ.V^2 = ρ.g.h

Where,

V: Velocity of the liquid coming out of the hole
A: Area of the hole
h: Height of the liquid above the hole in the tank

But how can I calculate Q accounting for the viscosity of the liquid, like oil for instance?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unless your oil is some thick lubricant or residual distillate, Q = AV works.
Calculating V is the tricky part for fluids with high viscosity.

Thanks for the reply SteamKing.

So do you mean that the flow rate is unaffected by the liquid viscosity, as long as we are dealing with Newtonian fluid?
It seems strange that these are not related.

Not necessarily. A can with a hole in the bottom is a pretty simple situation. Now, if the fluid were flowing through a piping system with runs of straight pipe combined with valves and other fittings, then viscosity plays a role in determining the pressure drop in the piping system. Fluids with higher viscosity have a larger pressure drop.

So for a simple situation with a hole at the bottom of a can or a tank, viscosity would not play in the volumetric flow rate out of the hole ?

I am trying to estimate the flow rate of oil with a very low density, out of a pierced tank.

Viscosity will matter, but unless the hole is small or viscosity is large, you can probably get an OK estimate by neglecting it. Including viscosity is a non-trivial computation, so I'd start by ignoring it and seeing how close your result is.

Ok thank you.

I will need to have it as precise as possible though, this is for a real case not a homework exercise.

Would you know where I could find information on the way to calculate it (even if if it s not trivial)?

Related to Calculating Volumetric Flow Rate (Q) of Non-Water Liquids

1. How is the volumetric flow rate (Q) of non-water liquids calculated?

The volumetric flow rate (Q) of non-water liquids is calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the pipe or channel (A) by the average velocity (V) of the liquid. This can be represented by the equation Q = A x V.

2. What unit is used to measure volumetric flow rate?

Volumetric flow rate is typically measured in cubic meters per second (m3/s) or cubic feet per second (ft3/s). Other commonly used units include gallons per minute (gal/min) and liters per second (L/s).

3. How do you calculate the cross-sectional area of a pipe or channel?

The cross-sectional area of a pipe or channel can be calculated using the formula A = πr2, where π is the mathematical constant pi (approximately equal to 3.14) and r is the radius of the pipe or channel.

4. Can the volumetric flow rate of non-water liquids change over time?

Yes, the volumetric flow rate of non-water liquids can change over time. Factors such as changes in pressure, temperature, and viscosity can affect the flow rate of a liquid. It is important to monitor these variables to accurately calculate the volumetric flow rate.

5. How does the density of a non-water liquid affect its volumetric flow rate?

The density of a non-water liquid does not directly affect its volumetric flow rate. However, it can indirectly impact the flow rate by changing the pressure and viscosity of the liquid. A denser liquid may require higher pressure to maintain a certain flow rate, while a less dense liquid may have a lower viscosity, allowing it to flow more easily.