Calculating Volume & Work: V1, V2, W

In summary, the gas performed work on itself (W) to move a total of 15625 mol of gas from one container to another.
miekier
Homework Statement
500 kg of O2 gas with a molar mass of 32 g/mol is compressed by a polytropic compressor with constant k = 1.3. Initial pressure is 1 bar, pressure after compression is 3 bar. The initial temperature is 15°C = 288.15 K. This process takes 50 minutes. Calculate the work done and the power.
Relevant Equations
P = W/t
p*V^(k) = constant
W = (p1*V1-p2*V2)/(k-1)
p*V = n*R*T
First i calculate n:
500000 g / 32 g/mol = 15625 mol

Then I calculate V1:
(100000 Pa * V1)/288.15 K = 15625 mol * 8.31 J/mol.k
so V1 = 374.145 m^3

I calculate V2:
100000¨ Pa * (374.145 m^3)^1.3 = 300000 Pa * (V2)^1.3
So V2 = 160.703 m^3

W = ((100000 Pa * 374.145 m^3)-(300000 Pa * 160.703 m^3))/(1.3-1) = -35988000 J?

I know my work is supposed to be positive, and the only value that can be wrong is V2 I think? Although that calculation seems fine to me, so I don't understand why the result for W is negative.

Physics news on Phys.org
miekier said:
W = (p1*V1-p2*V2)/(k-1)W = ((100000 Pa * 374.145 m^3)-(300000 Pa * 160.703 m^3))/(1.3-1) = -35988000 J?
Not a familiar topic but in your equation "W = (p1*V1-p2*V2)/(k-1)" should "k-1" actually be "1-k"?

Also, it is good practice to give answer such as "35988000J" in standard form (scientific notation) rounded to an appropriate number of significant figures!

Well in our textbook the formula is listed with (k-1), but I can't find any similar formula online so I can't double check.
Although in the example problem the teacher uses the same formula and finds a positive value for W. That's what makes me think that my V2 must be wrong.
You're right about the scientific notation being better, it's just laziness with typing exponents that makes me not round them immediately.
At any rate, thank you for taking a look at the problem.

miekier said:
Well in our textbook the formula is listed with (k-1), but I can't find any similar formula online so I can't double check.
Although in the example problem the teacher uses the same formula and finds a positive value for W. That's what makes me think that my V2 must be wrong.
You're right about the scientific notation being better, it's just laziness with typing exponents that makes me not round them immediately.
At any rate, thank you for taking a look at the problem.
Any chance there's confusion between the work done by the gas and the work done on the gas? They are of course negatives of each other.

Likes miekier
I think it might be correct, and you've just computed the work done by the gas, on the system. Which is indeed negative.

Steve4Physics beat me to it :)

Likes miekier and Steve4Physics

1. What is the formula for calculating volume?

The formula for calculating volume is V = l x w x h, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height of the object.

2. How do you find the volume of an irregularly shaped object?

To find the volume of an irregularly shaped object, you can use the water displacement method. Fill a graduated cylinder with water and record the initial volume. Then, place the object in the cylinder and record the new volume. The difference between the two volumes is the volume of the object.

3. What is the unit of measurement for volume?

The unit of measurement for volume is typically cubic units such as cubic meters (m3) or cubic centimeters (cm3).

4. How do you calculate work?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

5. Can you calculate volume and work for gases?

Yes, volume and work can be calculated for gases using the ideal gas law, which states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and inversely proportional to its pressure. The formula for the ideal gas law is PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is temperature in Kelvin.