Calculating Volume & Density of a Metal Object

In summary, a metal object is suspended from a spring scale and the scale reads 920 N when the object is suspended in air and 750 N when the object is completely submerged in water. To find the volume of the object, the equation v=md is used, resulting in a volume of .0171 m^3. To find the density of the metal, the equation d=m/v is used, with the mass being calculated as 93.78 kg and the volume being .0173 m^3, resulting in a density of 5.4x10^3 kg/m^3.
jefgreen

Homework Statement

A metal object is suspended from a spring scale. The scale reads 920 N when the object is suspended in air, and 750 N when the object is completely submerged in water.

a. Find the volume of the object.
b. Find the density of the metal.

Homework Equations

d=m/v or v=md or m=dv
D of Water=1.00x103kg/m3
1N=1kg
v=_____3

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A: v=md

(750N)(1.00x103kg/m3)
V=7.5x105

Honestly, I'm fairly sure that ^ is completely wrong... :rolleyes:

Part B: d=m/v

I am completely lost..

Physics news on Phys.org
BUMP. Help please.

Do you know about the buoyant force?

Redsummers said:
Do you know about the buoyant force?

I have an equation sheet which mentions it.

Buoyant Force: Fbuoyant=DVg

I know:
Dh2o=1.00x10^3 kg/m^3
g=9.80 m/s^2

Okay, and you know that the buoyant force on a submerged body is directed in the opposite direction to gravity. It's always helpful to make a draw of what's really going on here.

So now you should think about what does the Archimedes principle states:

Real weight (920N) = apparent weight (measured as 750N) + weight of displaced fluid (buoyant force).

If you work out the maths here, you will get the volume. Don't hesitate to ask if you're not sure though.

Would I set it up like this?

920=750+(1.00x10^3)v(9.80)

and solve for v?

Last edited:
jefgreen said:

No, that's not the answer sorry.

I just gave you the equation that you have to use to work out the volume. It's not that tedious to plug numbers in.

950 = 720 + DVg

Letting D be the density of the fluid...

jefgreen said:

and solve for v?

Oh haha, okay you got it yeah.
And once you have the volume you can use the density equation (D = m/v) to get the density of the body.

Hope it's clear ;)

jefgreen said:

and solve for v?

I got .0872 for v.

What would I plug in for the mass?

d=m/v

D=M/.0872

What would I plug in?

Oh, when calculating the density, you should think that it is not important in which surroundings are you doing it, because rigid bodies will always have the same density. So for the density you should basically search what's the real mass of the body i.e.:

real weight (920) = M(Kg) · g(9.81m/s^2)

So...

920/.0872 will give me Density? :confused:

Nope, 920N is the weight. Weight and mass are two different things, the mass can be calculated as:

M = weight/gravity

Hence, M = 93.78Kg. Now you can plug this M in the density formula.

So the answer Part B is:

D=93.78kg
--------

which equals 1075.458716 or 1.1x10^3?

Is v= .0872 correct, by the way?

jefgreen said:
So the answer Part B is:

D=93.78kg
--------

which equals 1075.458716 or 1.1x10^3?

As long as your volume was .0872, that should be right. But check that out concerning the volume:

920-750 = 9.81 x 10^3 x V, are you sure that V is .0872?

No, v definitely is not .0872.

To find v do I set it up like this?

920-750=(9.80)(1.00x10^3)v

V=.0173 is what I have now...

jefgreen said:
Is v= .0872 correct, by the way?

Yeah, that's what I was wondering, I think you did some kind of algebra error or calculator typo, because I keep getting .0173 for the Volume.

Check now for the density as:

D = 93.78Kg / .0173m^3

jefgreen said:
V=.0173 is what I have now...

Bingo!

Answers:

Part A: V=.0171 m^3
Part B: D= 5.4x10^3

Is this correct? Also, what unit would density be in?

Yeah, that is numerically correct. Now for the units of the density, if we have:

D = m/V, we should know that mass is in (Kg) and V in (m^3], so density is just (Kg/m^3).

Redsummers said:
Yeah, that is numerically correct. Now for the units of the density, if we have:

D = m/V, we should know that mass is in (Kg) and V in (m^3], so density is just (Kg/m^3).

Thank you so much. :smile:

Related to Calculating Volume & Density of a Metal Object

1. How do I measure the volume of a metal object?

To calculate the volume of a metal object, you will need to measure its dimensions using a ruler or caliper. For a regular-shaped object such as a cube or rectangular prism, you can use the formula V = l x w x h, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height. For irregular-shaped objects, you can use the water displacement method by placing the object in a container filled with water and measuring the change in water level.

2. What is the formula for calculating density?

The formula for density is D = m/V, where D is density, m is mass, and V is volume. In other words, density is the mass of a substance per unit volume.

3. How do I convert units when calculating density?

To convert units when calculating density, you will need to use conversion factors. For example, if you are given the mass of a metal object in grams and the volume in cubic centimeters, you can convert the mass to kilograms by dividing by 1000 and the volume to cubic meters by dividing by 1,000,000. Then, you can use the formula D = m/V to calculate the density in kg/m³.

4. Why is it important to know the density of a metal object?

Knowing the density of a metal object can provide valuable information about its properties and potential uses. For example, the density can help determine if the metal is pure or if it contains impurities. It can also be used to identify different types of metals and their alloys. Additionally, the density can be used to calculate other properties such as buoyancy and melting point.

5. How can I use the density of a metal object in real-life applications?

The density of a metal object has many practical applications. For instance, it is used in engineering and construction to design structures and ensure their stability. In the manufacturing industry, density is used to determine the amount of material needed for production and to ensure consistency in the final product. Additionally, the density of a metal object can be used in forensic investigations to identify unknown substances found at a crime scene.