Calculating voltage % regulation

In summary, the problem is to determine the % regulation of an 11kV to 415v transformer with a rating of 100kVA and winding resistance of 0.0142 ohms and leakage reactance of 0.0569 ohms when referred to the secondary. The formula for voltage regulation is given and two possible solutions were attempted, resulting in a % of -2.62%. The correctness of the result is questioned and an explanation is requested.
jitznerd

Homework Statement

An 11kV to 415v transformer has a rating of 100kVA. The winding resistance and leakage reactance when referred to the secondary are 0.0142 ohms and 0.0569 ohms respectively. Determine the % regulation of the transformer for a 0.8 lagging power factor.

Homework Equations

Voltage regulation = (No load secondary voltage - rated secondary voltage) /(rated secondary voltage) * 100

The Attempt at a Solution

I have come across a few formulas to solve this (this easiest seems to be the one stated above. I assume that the rated voltage would be 415V but not sure how to work the no load voltage?
I also found another formula:
I2(full load)/V2(fl) *(R(secondary) * cos∅ +Xs sin∅) * 100

I calculated I2 at 100000/415 = 241A
∴241/415 ((0.0142*0.8)+(0.0569*sin36)) *100

which gives me 0.581(0.01136)+(-0.056)*100
This gives me a % of -2.62%. I am guessing this is incorrect as result is a minus. If someone could point out where I am going wrong but keep it in laymans terms as I am just learning this stuff it would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, is the other formula I mentioned above correct? And if so, would be much appreciated if someone could explain where I have gone wrong. Many thanks.

Related to Calculating voltage % regulation

1. What is voltage % regulation?

Voltage % regulation is a measure of the change in output voltage of a power supply when there is a change in the input voltage. It is expressed as a percentage and is used to determine the stability and efficiency of a power supply.

2. How is voltage % regulation calculated?

Voltage % regulation is calculated by taking the difference between the no-load voltage (VNL) and full-load voltage (VFL) and dividing it by the full-load voltage, then multiplying by 100. The formula is: % Regulation = (VNL - VFL) / VFL * 100%.

3. What factors affect voltage % regulation?

The main factors that affect voltage % regulation are the load current, input voltage, and the internal resistance of the power supply. Other factors such as temperature and aging of components can also have an impact.

4. Why is voltage % regulation important?

Voltage % regulation is important because it indicates the ability of a power supply to maintain a stable output voltage even when there are changes in the input voltage or load. A high voltage % regulation can lead to fluctuations in the output voltage, which can affect the performance and lifespan of electronic devices.

5. What is an acceptable voltage % regulation?

The acceptable voltage % regulation varies depending on the type of power supply and its application. Generally, a voltage % regulation of less than 5% is considered good for most electronic devices. However, for more sensitive equipment, a voltage % regulation of less than 3% may be necessary.