Calculating voltage division for an AC circuit?

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the voltage across an inductor in a series RL circuit connected to a 110-V ac source. The answer key stated that the voltage is 69.82 V, which is different from the logic used by the person asking the question. The difference is explained by the fact that in AC circuits, current through an inductor lags voltage by 90 degrees, while current through a resistor is in phase with voltage. This means that the voltage across the resistor, which varies with time, is not simply 110-85=25V, but rather the length of a vector in the complex plane. Using this understanding, the correct calculation for the voltage across the inductor is 69.82 V.
159753x

Homework Statement

A series RL circuit is connected to a 110-V ac source. If the voltage across the resistor is 85 V, find the voltage across the inductor.

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

How does one go about solving this? My intuition tells me that KVL must be satisfied. Therefore, wouldn't the voltage drop just be 110 - 85 = 25V?

The answer key states that the answer is 69.82 V.

Instead of explaining how to get the solution, can someone perhaps explain how Kirchoff's Voltage Law is different in AC circuits then DC? I can't quite understand why my logic above doesn't work, and the answer isn't 25V.

Physics news on Phys.org
159753x said:
V = IR
Ohm's law, DC only.
159753x said:
different in AC circuits then DC?
Current through an inductor lags voltage across the inductor by 90 degrees (or pi/2 radians) in AC circuits. Current through a resistor is in phase (zero lag or lead) in AC circuits. Current through a capacitor leads voltage by 90 or pi/2. Check your textbook index or appendices for "reactance." Try this and see if it helps.

Likes 159753x
I got it! The total voltage coming from the AC source varies with time, so the voltage across the resistor also varies with time. Once I realized that this voltage of 110V is really the length of a vector in the complex plane, it becomes much easier. Obviously, if the voltage of the resistor is only 85V, the inductor must carry the rest of the voltage (here we use the pythagorean theorem). Thus 85^2 - 110^2 = 69.8^2 .

Thanks for the help!

Related to Calculating voltage division for an AC circuit?

1. How do you calculate voltage division for an AC circuit?

To calculate voltage division for an AC circuit, you need to use the formula V2 = (Z2 / Z1+Z2) * V1, where V2 is the voltage across the second resistor, Z2 is the impedance of the second resistor, and V1 is the input voltage. Z1 is the impedance of the first resistor, which is equal to its resistance in ohms.

2. What is the difference between voltage division in DC and AC circuits?

The main difference between voltage division in DC and AC circuits is that in DC circuits, the voltage is constant, while in AC circuits, the voltage varies sinusoidally over time. This means that in AC circuits, the voltage division formula must take into account the impedance of the components, which can change based on the frequency of the AC signal.

3. Can you use the same formula for voltage division in series and parallel AC circuits?

No, the formula for voltage division is different for series and parallel AC circuits. In series circuits, the formula is V2 = (Z2 / Z1+Z2) * V1, as mentioned earlier. In parallel circuits, the formula is V2 = (Z1 / Z1+Z2) * V1, where Z1 and Z2 are the impedances of the two resistors.

4. How does the phase difference affect voltage division in AC circuits?

The phase difference between the voltage across two components in an AC circuit can affect the voltage division. If the two components have the same phase, meaning the voltage changes at the same time, the voltage division formula remains the same. However, if the two components have a phase difference, the voltage division formula will need to take into account the impedance of the components and the phase angle.

5. Can voltage division be used for calculating current in an AC circuit?

No, voltage division is used specifically for calculating the voltage across components in an AC circuit. To calculate current, you would need to use Ohm's law, which states that current (I) equals voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). Additionally, in AC circuits, the current can vary based on the frequency and phase difference, so it cannot be calculated using a simple formula like voltage division.