Calculating Vitamin C Content in Fruit Juices: A Biology Coursework

• Thread starter xXAznGurlXx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coursework
In summary, the 1% vitamin C solution contains 1mg of vitamin c in 1.0cm3. The mass of vitamin c that is required to decolourise 1cm3 of the DCPIP solution is 1mg. So each of the fruit juices in the solution contain 0.1mgcm-3 of vitamin c.
xXAznGurlXx
Hello there, I just needed help on this following problem, its a biology coursework i am doing and it states that,
The 1% vitamin C Solution contains 1mg of vitamin c in 1.0cm3. Calculate the mass of vitamin c that is required to decolourise 1cm3 of the DCPIP solution. then use this value to work out how much vitamin c each of the fruit juices contain, in mgcm-3

So far I have tested all my fruit juices using my burette and I have recorded the volumes that is needed to decolourise the DCPIP. my writeup is almost complete except for this problem that is asking me to do.

But one thing is i don't understand the question above is asking me

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what chemical reaction takes place in your solution? This is a stoichiometry problem, you should start with the reaction equation.

Borek said:
Do you know what chemical reaction takes place in your solution? This is a stoichiometry problem, you should start with the reaction equation.

well I had a test tube and inside was 1cm3 of DCIPIP and my burette contained orange juice and had to slowly add drop by drop to the dcipip until it change colour.
I have to repeat the exact same procedure with grapefruit juice, blackcurrent juice, and a wide range of juices.

You are referring to the procedure. I am asking what chemicals do you mix and how do they react.

Borek said:
You are referring to the procedure. I am asking what chemicals do you mix and how do they react.

There were no chemicals involved, it's just those 2 solutions and when they react, it turned from blue to pinkish colour.
I mixed the orange juice with the DCPIP and then it changed colour.

xXAznGurlXx said:
There were no chemicals involved

Every single thing you deal with in your life is made of chemicals. You are made of chemicals - proteins, fat, water, carbohydrates, nucleic acids and mineral salts. Both your solutions were full of chemicals.

it's just those 2 solutions and when they react, it turned from blue to pinkish colour.
I mixed the orange juice with the DCPIP and then it changed colour.

DCPIP is one of chemicals involved. You have already named another one earlier.

So what do you suggest I should do into calculating the mass?

See my first post in the thread.

Related to Calculating Vitamin C Content in Fruit Juices: A Biology Coursework

1. What is the purpose of Vitamin C coursework?

The purpose of Vitamin C coursework is to provide students with a deeper understanding of the properties, functions, and sources of Vitamin C, as well as its role in human health and disease. It also aims to develop critical thinking and experimental skills through laboratory work and data analysis.

2. What topics are typically covered in Vitamin C coursework?

Topics covered in Vitamin C coursework may include the chemical structure and properties of Vitamin C, its role as an antioxidant, its effects on the immune system, and its relationship to scurvy and other diseases. Other topics may include methods of Vitamin C analysis, recommended daily intake, and the impact of food processing on Vitamin C levels.

3. How is Vitamin C coursework assessed?

Vitamin C coursework is typically assessed through a combination of written assignments, laboratory reports, and exams. These assessments may include questions related to the topics covered, data analysis, and critical thinking exercises.

4. What are some potential sources of error in Vitamin C experiments?

Potential sources of error in Vitamin C experiments may include inadequate sample preparation, contamination of samples, instrumental errors, and human error in data collection and analysis. Factors such as temperature, pH, and light exposure may also impact the stability of Vitamin C in experiments.

5. How can I improve my performance in Vitamin C coursework?

To improve your performance in Vitamin C coursework, it is important to attend all lectures and lab sessions, actively participate in class discussions, and ask questions when you do not understand a concept. You should also review and study course materials regularly, seek help from your instructor or peers when needed, and practice critical thinking and data analysis skills through laboratory work and assignments.