Calculating Vertical Forces in a Cantilever Beam Setup

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cantilever beam with an extension and the calculation of vertical forces at two points on the beam. It is determined that the sum of moments and forces must be calculated, and the centers of gravity of the beam must be taken into account. The conversation ends with the individual feeling confident in their ability to solve the problem.
Ntothaate

Homework Statement

This is not a homework problem, but something i can't figure out how to calculate. Basically I have what is similar to a cantilever beam setup with an extension. what i need to figure out is what the vertical forces are at the two points(triangles on the attached paint drawing), and how I would Calculate that. There is no force added at any point, so it needs to be calculated solely off the mass of the beam. I don't know the mass so at this point i can just make one up as M=1lb, or whatever unit you would like. thank you in advance

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• beam.jpg
    beam.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a static problem so the sum of moments calculated about a point = 0.
And the sum of forces upward = sum of forces downward.

You would use the cg as to where the force of the beam acts. Note that you have 2 centres of gravity - one on the length = 9 and one on the length = 1. If M=1 then on the length 9 , the force of 0.9 acts downward at a location halfway of its length (9) from the up pointing triangle, and the part of the beam of length 1, has its cg at the 0.5 mark acting with of force of 0.1 downward.
Does that help?

Last edited:
I believe i can figure it out, thanks for the help 256bits

Related to Calculating Vertical Forces in a Cantilever Beam Setup

What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a graphical representation of all the forces acting on an object. It is used to analyze the forces and their directions on a specific object.

How do I draw a free body diagram for a beam?

To draw a free body diagram for a beam, start by drawing a straight line to represent the beam. Then, identify all the external forces acting on the beam, such as weight, support reactions, and applied loads. Finally, draw arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force.

What are the different types of forces that can act on a beam in a free body diagram?

The four main types of forces that can act on a beam in a free body diagram are compression, tension, shear, and bending. Compression forces push inward, tension forces pull outward, shear forces cause a sliding motion, and bending forces cause a bending or flexing motion.

How do I determine the magnitude and direction of the forces in a free body diagram for a beam?

The magnitude and direction of forces in a free body diagram for a beam can be determined by using Newton's laws of motion and equations of equilibrium. By summing up all the forces in the x and y directions, you can find the magnitude and direction of the net force acting on the beam.

Why are free body diagrams important in beam force analysis?

Free body diagrams are important in beam force analysis because they provide a visual representation of all the forces acting on the beam. They help in understanding the forces and their directions, and they are essential for solving equations of equilibrium to determine the unknown forces and support reactions.