Calculating Velocity of a Sliding Box on an Inclined Ramp

In summary, the problem involves a box of mass 6.2 kg sliding down a ramp inclined at 38 degrees to the horizontal. The goal is to find the velocity of the box right before it hits the ground. Using the equations for gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy, we can set up a new equation to find the velocity. Simplifying the equation further, we can factor out the common term of mgh and solve for v, giving us the final equation v=√2(mgh-mgh⋅)/m. The next step would be to plug in values for m, g, h, and θ to find the velocity.
Cglez1280

Homework Statement

A box of mass 6.2 kg slides 4.8 m down a ramp that is inclined 38 degrees to the horizontal. What is the velocity of the box right before it hits the ground?
Mass=6.2 Height=dsintheta? V=is what needs to be found theta=38

Homework Equations

GPE=mgh=mgdsin(theta)
KE=1/2mv^2
New equation:
GPE⋅+KE⋅=GPE
mgh⋅+1/2mv^2=mgh
1/2mv^2=mgh-mgh⋅
mv^2=2(mgh-mgh⋅)
V^2=2(mgh-mgh⋅)/m
v=√2(mgh-mgh⋅)/m

The Attempt at a Solution

i just want to see if my equations are correct. if it could be factored even more could someone tell me. like the two mgh's i feel like could be changed but I am not too sure. I know h is also h=dsin(θ) but would it be the same for the two since it will be different?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. I think you're trying to say something like:

The box falls a vertical height ##h = d\sin(\theta)## where ##d## is the length of the slope.

The loss of GPE is, therefore, ...

PeroK said:
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. I think you're trying to say something like:

The box falls a vertical height ##h = d\sin(\theta)## where ##d## is the length of the slope.

The loss of GPE is, therefore, ...
I'm sorry that's what I'm trying to say, I just need a little bit of help on this problem

Cglez1280 said:
I'm sorry that's what I'm trying to say, I just need a little bit of help on this problem
Can you do the next step? What is the loss in GPE?

Related to Calculating Velocity of a Sliding Box on an Inclined Ramp

1. What is GPE and how is it calculated?

GPE stands for Gravitational Potential Energy, which is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is calculated by multiplying the object's mass, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the object above the ground: GPE = mgh.

2. What is KE and how is it calculated?

KE stands for Kinetic Energy, which is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by multiplying half of the object's mass by its velocity squared: KE = 1/2mv^2.

3. What is EPE and how is it calculated?

EPE stands for Elastic Potential Energy, which is the energy stored in an object due to its deformation. It is calculated by multiplying the spring constant of the object (k) by the square of its displacement (x): EPE = 1/2kx^2.

4. Can GPE, KE, and EPE be converted into each other?

Yes, GPE, KE, and EPE can all be converted into each other. For example, if an object falls from a height and its GPE decreases, its KE will increase by the same amount. Similarly, if an object compresses a spring and its EPE increases, its KE will decrease by the same amount.

5. How do these three forms of energy relate to each other?

GPE, KE, and EPE are all forms of mechanical energy, which is the energy associated with motion and position. They are all interrelated and can be converted into each other, as described in the previous question. Additionally, the total mechanical energy of a system (GPE + KE + EPE) remains constant unless acted upon by a non-conservative force, such as friction.