Calculating Velocity of a Crate on an Incline Using Spring Constant and Mass

In summary, the problem involves a 50 kg mass on a 20m high incline with a 10m long spring below with a spring constant of 1000N/m. Assuming frictionless surfaces, the velocity of the crate traveling along the horizontal surface can be found using conservation of energy, with the final velocity being 19.81m/s. The spring will compress by 4.43m due to the conservation of energy.
KAT444
[SOLVED] spring and box on incline

Homework Statement

A 50 kg mass rests atop a 20m high incline. The spring constant of a 10m long spring below is 1000N/m. The 50 kg crate is sent down the incline. Assume all surfaces in this problem are frictionless.
What is the velocity of the crate traveling along the horizontal surface?

Homework Equations

V_(f^2 )=V_(i^2 )+2aD
Fspring=kx
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I am so confused by this problem. I tried to find the length of the incline, but couldn't figure out how. The only thing I could think to do was to find the potential energy of the crate, which is 9810 J. I know that only force gravity is acting of the crate, and that Fgy=FN, but that doesn't seem to help me at all.
Please help me if you can because I have a physics final exam tomorrow. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• Physics Final Exam Review.jpg
    Physics Final Exam Review.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
Use energy...

KAT444 said:
Assume all surfaces in this problem are frictionless.
Since there's no friction, what's conserved?

I don't want you to give me the answer, but is there anyway you could give me a little more information? I know that energy should be conserved, but the only formulas I know for the conservation of energy involve velocity, which I can't figure out a way to find.

There are three types of energy involved here: kinetic energy, gravitational potential energy, and spring potential energy. Only kinetic energy involves velocity.

Is this right? :

1/2mv^2 + mgy = 1/2mv^2 + mgy
0 + (50kg)(9.81m/s^2)(20m) = 1/2(50kg)v^2 + 0
19.81m/s = v

So then the spring would be compressed .9905m because:
f = ma
f = 50kg(19.81m/s)
f = 990.5N

fp = kx
990.5N = 1000N/m * x
.9905m = x

Thanks for all your help

-KAT444

KAT444 said:
Is this right? :

1/2mv^2 + mgy = 1/2mv^2 + mgy
0 + (50kg)(9.81m/s^2)(20m) = 1/2(50kg)v^2 + 0
19.81m/s = v
This is exactly correct. :smile:

So then the spring would be compressed .9905m because:
f = ma
f = 50kg(19.81m/s)
f = 990.5N

fp = kx
990.5N = 1000N/m * x
.9905m = x
This is not correct.

To find out how the spring compresses, again consider energy. What's the formula for the energy of a compressed spring?

Is this the right way:

elastic PE = 1/2kx^2
energy is conserved so . . .
9810J = 1/2(1000N/m)(x^2)
4.43m = x

Thanks - KAT444

KAT444 said:
Is this the right way:

elastic PE = 1/2kx^2
energy is conserved so . . .
9810J = 1/2(1000N/m)(x^2)
4.43m = x
Perfecto!

I agree with your profile, you're an all around good guy.

Thanks again - KAT444

Related to Calculating Velocity of a Crate on an Incline Using Spring Constant and Mass

1. What is the purpose of a spring in a box on an incline?

A spring in a box on an incline is used to demonstrate the concept of potential and kinetic energy. When the box is placed on an incline, the potential energy of the spring is converted into kinetic energy as the box moves down the incline. This can help students understand the relationship between potential and kinetic energy.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of the box?

The angle of the incline affects the acceleration and speed of the box. The steeper the incline, the faster the box will move and the greater the acceleration. This is because the component of gravity acting down the incline is greater at steeper angles, causing the box to accelerate more.

3. What factors affect the spring constant of the spring in the box?

The spring constant of a spring in a box on an incline is affected by the material and thickness of the spring, as well as the number of coils and the weight of the box. These factors determine the stiffness of the spring and how much force is needed to compress it.

4. How does the mass of the box affect the motion of the spring?

The mass of the box affects the motion of the spring by determining the amount of force needed to compress the spring. A heavier box will require more force to compress the spring, resulting in a slower and less intense motion down the incline.

5. What other variables can be manipulated in a spring and box on an incline experiment?

In addition to the angle of the incline and the mass of the box, other variables that can be manipulated in this experiment include the length of the spring, the starting position of the box, and the surface of the incline (e.g. rough vs. smooth). These variables can affect the motion and energy transfer of the spring and box system.