Calculating Velocity from Vector Addition of Ion Positions

In summary, the problem involves finding the displacement of an ion whose initial position vector is (5.0m)i - (6.0m)j = (2.0m)k and final position vector is (-2.0m)i +(8.0m)j - (2.0m)k. The correct answer is r> = (-0.7m/s)i + (1.4m/s)j - (0.4m/s)k, which is obtained by subtracting the initial position vector from the final position vector. This is different from adding the position vectors, as in the problem involving a train's average velocity.
Gold3nlily

Homework Statement

An ion's position vector is initially r> = (5.0m)i - (6.0m)j = (2.0m)k and 10 s later it is r> = (-2.0m)i +(8.0m)j - (2.0m)k. In unit-vector notation, what is its during the 10 s?

The answer is supposed to be r> = (-0.7m/s)i + (1.4m/s)j - (0.4m/s)k (from back of my book) but I keep getting r> = (0.3m/s)i + (0.2m/s)j

Homework Equations

Vave> = r> (total) / T (total)

The Attempt at a Solution

r> = (5.0m)i - (6.0m)j = (2.0m)k
r> = (-2.0m)i +(8.0m)j - (2.0m)k.
+ -----------------------------
r> (total) = (3.0m)i + (2.0m)j

Vave> = r> (total) / T (total)
Vave> = (3.0m)i + (2.0m)j / 10sec
r> = (0.3m/s)i + (0.2m/s)j

I know my error doesn't have to do with the units, becasue I still end up with m/s in my answer. So where then did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The displacement is the final position minus the initial position. You semed to have just added up the position vectors.

PhanthomJay said:
The displacement is the final position minus the initial position. You seemed to have just added up the position vectors.

Ah! That makes sense.

But I'm confused- my book says r>(total) = r1> + r>2 ...+ rn>

What makes this problem different than say this problem I will post at the bottom. In this other problem it was necessary to add the vectors instead of subtract. Is that becasue the problem you helped me with works with "position" vector and the problem at the bottom of the page works with some other type of vectors?

other problem:
"A train at a constant 60.0 km/h moves east for 40.0 min, then in a direction 50.0° east of due north for 20.0 min, and then west for 50.0 min. What are the (a) magnitude and (b) angle of its average velocity during this trip?"

Btw- I subtracted the vector and got the correct answer. Thank you.

Yes, the position vector specifies a point in reference to a coordinate system with its origin at (0,0,0), as in the first problem. The second problem uses displacement vectors.

Suppose you had a particle with an initial position vector of 2i + 2j, and a final position vector of 2i + 3j. Its displacement is obtained by subtracting the initial position vector from the final position vector, such that its displacement is just j (or 1 unit [N]). But if a a particle was displaced 2i +2j units and then 2i + 3j units, its displacement would be 4i + 5j. A quick sketch helps.

Thank you very much. I get it now.

Related to Calculating Velocity from Vector Addition of Ion Positions

What is vector addition of ion?

Vector addition of ion is a mathematical operation used to combine two or more ions that have both magnitude and direction. It is similar to regular vector addition, where the magnitude and direction of the resulting ion is determined by the individual ions being added together.

Why is vector addition of ion important in science?

Vector addition of ion is important in science because it allows us to accurately describe and understand the movement and behavior of ions in various systems. This is especially useful in fields such as chemistry and physics, where the behavior of ions can have a significant impact on the outcome of experiments and studies.

How is vector addition of ion calculated?

Vector addition of ion is calculated by first determining the magnitude and direction of each individual ion, and then using trigonometric functions and the Pythagorean theorem to find the resulting magnitude and direction of the combined ion. This can be done using mathematical equations or by using vector diagrams.

What are some real-life examples of vector addition of ion?

Some real-life examples of vector addition of ion include the movement of charged particles in an electric field, the combination of forces acting on an ion in a chemical reaction, and the motion of ions in a magnetic field. It can also be used to describe the motion of ions in biological systems, such as the flow of ions through nerve cells.

Are there any limitations to vector addition of ion?

Vector addition of ion is a simplified mathematical model and may not always accurately represent the complex behavior of ions in real-life systems. It also assumes that the ions being added are in the same medium and do not interact with each other. Additionally, it does not take into account any quantum effects that may occur at the atomic level.