Calculating Velocity and Direction of a Sailboat After a Sudden Gust of Wind

In summary, the boat has an acceleration of 0.80 m/s^2 when a gust of wind gives it a sudden increase in speed. 6.0 seconds later, the boat is still traveling east at 5 m/s, but has changed direction by 40 degrees due to the gust.
viendong
A sailboat is traveling east at 5. m/s. A sudden gust of wind gives the boat an acceleration =0.80 m/s^2, 40 degree north of east
1) what is the boat's speed later when the gust subsides?
2) what is the boat's direction 6.0 s later when the gust subsides?

I've a question
I need to find the velocity when the gust wind
so
[text]vf = vi +at [\text]
do the vi =0 or it's 5 m/s though?
how should i visualize the problem?
Thanks again

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really able to see how you can solve it if the 6.0s does not also apply to question 1)
If so then you can calculate the change in velocity.
You can then vectorize this change and see how it effects the x and y velocity.
Since you have 5 m/s as x you can see how they affect each other and you will get a new x vector. Combine the new x vector with the old y vector to get the final vector which has the boat's velocity and direction.
Maybe there's an easier way to do it? Not sure though, are you working with vectors now?

Assume the north to be the positive y-direction and east to be the positive x. Resolve the acceleration in both the directions and then apply the equation

[tex]v = u +at [/tex] for each direction.

So, for north, you have the inital velocity as zero while it is 5m/s for east. After calculating the final velocities in each direction, use pythagoras theorem and find the final velocity.

The direction is given by [tex]\theta= tan^{-1}\frac{vy}{vx}[/tex]

[tex]\Theta[/tex] is the angle made with the east.

spacetime
www.geocities.com/physics_all/index.html

i still don't get how can I resolve to find the acceleration for each of (x, y) direction
Isn't x acceleration =0 and the y direction is .80 m/s^2 ? I'm confused... please help

thank you very much, i got it now .. hihii :)

Related to Calculating Velocity and Direction of a Sailboat After a Sudden Gust of Wind

1. What is relative motion problem?

Relative motion problem is a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of objects in relation to one another. It takes into account the relative velocities and positions of objects, rather than their absolute values.

2. How do you solve a relative motion problem?

The first step in solving a relative motion problem is to clearly define the motion of each object involved. Then, use vector addition to determine the relative velocity between the objects. Finally, use this relative velocity to calculate the distance and time traveled by each object.

3. What is the difference between relative motion and absolute motion?

Absolute motion refers to the actual motion of an object in relation to a fixed point, such as the ground or a stationary observer. Relative motion, on the other hand, is the motion of an object in relation to another moving object.

4. What are some common examples of relative motion?

Some common examples of relative motion include a car passing a stationary object, two people walking towards each other, or a boat moving in a river. In these situations, the motion of one object is affected by the motion of another object.

5. Why is it important to understand relative motion?

Understanding relative motion is crucial in many fields, including physics, engineering, and aviation. It allows us to accurately analyze the motion of objects and predict their behavior in different situations. It also helps us to understand the concept of frame of reference and how it affects our perception of motion.