Calculating Velocity and Angle - Normal & Tangential Accel.

In summary: Your work-energy equation is correct, but your expression for the loss in PE is incorrect.In summary, the conversation is about a small block sliding on a cylindrical surface with no friction. The initial velocity of the block is varied from 5 ft/s to 15 ft/s and the velocity and angle at which the block leaves the surface is calculated using equations of motion. The values obtained for theta when N=0 are measured from the positive x-axis, but should be measured from the y-axis. The expression for the loss in gravitational PE needs to be checked and corrected.
Cal Ripken

Homework Statement

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/7G78ypM5WmK-vnUpoo1yHc-u7cGRdLDiQV7akVJ8UWnuqtN9oJbY7_I6Yj4SJZCSRgUbxxZDCRv3fPX_fjJeWmFGgvv3dxz1rqz9WOrGnmviZ-YzGO5KoGSnbQVIDhNaX15IgY0mZ_1LLb-oEkZ-vdPX6JJi6unt8Bw7c4vsSUqJehsmmE7fQmyLUibE5ikeTcr7mSkhs_aQ8DKB2Oi8EXFF9iSKgufiawdSAR2MOVx0Nccn1yoFsKyhNkdqd0JPBKhzeMiPUES897hniRTTfvjMqUJBvi-sFS2SotX0VWrMoXk3s0b1dRnJTx1yBSkfKk8L8VztnjPe09B_1GMEMxL6-hlMIxMIKq4wz6rFkwalKLv3LXhr2kMZcubrzotG2HEmpnx718HV0Adn1Ife-3Zr6fTgR9nDJWa50vTCvyWrGVhdj8mC5_WXXXQgCTzk53XY9IAaz8K4TYO4VLalrkF3Tw0S4LlBaS3rICOYDFqQye1_uekZhv81JMPtCD4Z4lvVumVzDDAOxdBml-su0MaFupGoZzCnE8Sc0fWuMQ=w264-h195-no [/B]
A small 1 lb block is at rest at the top of a cylindrical surface. The block is given an initial velocity v0 to the right which causes it to slide on the cylindrical surface. Assume smooth surface and no friction.

a. Use any computational software or Excel to calculate the velocity and angle theta at which the block leaves the surface if initial velocity v0 is from 5 ft/s to 15 ft/s (every 1 ft/s).

b. If there is friction between the block and the surface what will be the difference between your equations? Set up the equations without solving. Assume the coefficient of kinetic friction μk between the block and the surface is given.

Homework Equations

∑Fn=man
∑Ft=mat

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, my attempt at a solution involved setting up the equations of motion as a function of theta. Recognizing that the block begins to leave the surface when the Normal force acting on the block is equal to zero, I set up an equation solving for theta when N=0, then plugged that value of theta into the equation established from the summation of forces in the tangential direction to solve for the final velocity of the block when it leaves the surface.

My equation setup:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/RI3-xHY-FdG0dczp2Pio9w4dmeMa3hfzZ2yfUt8jn9f-_qlWW66Ie_W5UqHJaLSS1Bzulu6CvIoM9hE8wUxjI-bbyIPlTguUALr7WbBuDC6xHCaFGp2Pkr5oVnMP5NDcjn_nQ0lZ2Obsp1vakar4OZQ0m-mtD6gHmhrEoBtqjsFlsJ5zOnuejAsTn9Wp6GWeTX_310ba3qbC1hyMFNPu_mZe1DJ3jdFA8OWoaHeBc4UFQX_T61tWpr00B9Yt3WAXEV6mOUPoYBK2bOT4r0PcODnGXuQW5s27lxpU2YPPqe1qcZd45LvJNYAdUv7mziqG9zf4IUucYL5qY3EeHw7HO4h1kM8pATbH3YF_yWtMb7A84Qu_W-t-8yMDbaV36iI1h_6uxzFP1dOybC3l8xdEWk5OVDYh52v5sUV5Z5i_bcAL-8ogRbdRibwUTQH6lMhFahRror6oBFwR2BLjpwAkwnKOFhry5W8f9VHmAdCFlCPHaauvNBMMc6mciDHp4JaFshKFUf2kzSYoZErmwzIa5p6oPfq3dXyUf8bov5FAsw=w526-h493-no

Values obtained for values of V0 ranging from 5 ft/s to 15 ft/s:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/GnL529e_LtGTAKptTmmMMMbaT4Vm0-RSsrTJuOUetvwA58_DixtpxIWK2owVbTcvDmrKPSbxBJ4FmirdDJXOyuhPfap_HcPui525i4OQ0QpdNzlAszdOtfSlMfAuifPyRVoDhNO_aq-nHRwamouxn8Co393B8GjRDX0gBmDzI9IqPfEmJ3RyrjDLZc6jLhfty4KVhljUC3wWkbwiKL3I_b-qRRq5Ggd87Me_5e12w68rBJag0ioBXFty2kDuO7OFJS5e5ckRysNvLnfHzD5gnPpLWE92u7wCeVNfU4XmDHId4GXVReii_4IS5R73LA2VGMSqLsgaA0ZhPXWP6WvrHyjAH-7sI8g9Eb0wpryQ-jyG2Qf7qM2YUUc77LUw2zQY8AVoztfeGCgAjZX3aO3KEW4ZFsT98xxVQr_srcdpbYwGF-1ZZKELYh5zkl0-fS8K-sO5C7lPfz788bCdxUH4iXKrQUNwlurQNtmwrymNxq-OA_8XJdM1g91xs6bEiRPUOByxkuORAYGRwCbceQ2hu1UjzLOdAbyPxDvbSaHcFw=w287-h244-no

I would like to know if my equations are set up properly. Further, I would like some help interpreting the data. It makes sense that the velocity of the block would be greater when it leaves the surface because gravity is doing positive work. The angle theta is what's throwing me off, though. The values I obtained for theta when N=0 make sense if measured from the positive x axis, because lower values of V0 should correspond to a greater change in theta. In setting up my second equation, my interval of integration was from 0 to theta. When I tried integrating from 90° to theta, I ended up with VF =√ (- number) . My results make sense to me provided theta is measured from the x axis, but I intended to measure theta from the y axis. What am I missing here and what do I need to do to prevent making this mistake again?

Thanks for your considerations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cal Ripken said:
The values I obtained for theta when N=0 make sense if measured from the positive x axis, because lower values of V0 should correspond to a greater change in theta.

My first thought upon seeing this was that your angle theta is measured from the y-axis. It seems to be measured from your weight vector, as drawn. So for vo=5.00 ft/s, the block leaves the cylindrical surface when theta = 8.93 degrees -- as measured from the y-axis. I'll ask a question: what is the value of theta, according to your diagram, when the block is at the top of the cylinder? Then Δθ=θfi.

Check your expression for the loss in gravitational PE.

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It includes both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's position (displacement) by the time it took for the change to occur. It is represented by the equation v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is displacement, and Δt is time.

3. What is normal acceleration?

Normal acceleration, also known as centripetal acceleration, is the acceleration that an object experiences when it moves in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is equal to v^2/r, where v is the tangential velocity and r is the radius of the circle.

4. How is normal acceleration related to tangential acceleration?

Normal acceleration and tangential acceleration are components of an object's total acceleration. Normal acceleration is always perpendicular to the tangential acceleration, which is directed tangentially to the object's circular path. The two accelerations work together to change the object's velocity.

5. Can an object have a constant velocity and still experience acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a constant velocity in one direction and still experience acceleration due to changes in its tangential velocity or direction. For example, a car moving at a constant speed on a circular track is experiencing a constant tangential velocity but also a changing normal acceleration as it moves around the curve.