Calculating Vector Magnitude and Angle

In summary, the homework statement is that you need to find the magnitude and angle of vector B - 2(vector A). The Attempt at a Solution found the magnitude and angle, and solved for the x and y components.
viet1919

Homework Statement

What is the magnitude and angle to
Vector B - 2(Vector A)?

Homework Equations

A sub x: 44cos28 = 38.85
A sub y: 44sin28 = 20.66
B sub x: 26.5cos56 = 14.82 <-- (Does the negative sign matter in 26.5? My teacher said it's not)
B sub y: 26.5sin56 = 21.97

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied the Vector A's by two.
A sub x: 38.85 x 2 = 77.7
A sub y: 20.66 x 2 = 41.2

I then solved for the x and y components.
x: (77.7) + (14.82) = 92.52
y: (41.2) - (21.97) = 19.23

Then I solved for the magnitude and angle.
Magnitude:
[itex]\sqrt{}[/itex](92.52)2 + (19.23)2= 94.50

Angle: tan-1 = 19.23/92.52 --> 11.74°

Is this correct? I have a weird feeling that it's wrong. I feel like I am missing something some wear. I really can't tell.

Physics news on Phys.org
viet1919 said:

Homework Statement

What is the magnitude and angle to
Vector B - 2(Vector A)?

Homework Equations

A sub x: 44cos28 = 38.85
A sub y: 44sin28 = 20.66
B sub x: 26.5cos56 = 14.82 <-- (Does the negative sign matter in 26.5? My teacher said it's not)
B sub y: 26.5sin56 = 21.97

Correct so far...

viet1919 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied the Vector A's by two.
A sub x: 38.85 x 2 = 77.7
A sub y: 20.66 x 2 = 41.2

I then solved for the x and y components.
x: (77.7) + (14.82) = 92.52
y: (41.2) - (21.97) = 19.23

You have to find the vector [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] - 2[itex]\vec{A}[/itex]; subtracting twice of [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] from [itex]\vec{B}[/itex]. Do the same with both components: Evaluate Bx-2Ax and By-2Ay. These will be the components of a new vector [itex]\vec{C}[/itex], to determine the magnitude and angle of it.

viet1919 said:
Then I solved for the magnitude and angle.
Magnitude:
[itex]\sqrt{92.52^2 + 19.23^2}[/itex]= 94.50

Angle: tan-1 = 19.23/92.52 --> 11.74°

Is this correct? I have a weird feeling that it's wrong. I feel like I am missing something some wear. I really can't tell.

ehild

Oh so you're saying what I should've done was
x: 14.82 - 77.7
y: 21.97 - 41.2
Is that so? And If you looked at the 26.5cos56. I thought it was -26.5cos56. But my teacher said the sign negative sign didn't matter or something. What does he mean?

At first it was this. Then I think we got rid of the negatives and made it positive.
Therefore using the equations

2(a sub x) + b sub x
and
2(a sub y) - b sub y

Attachments

• this.PNG
    this.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 427
viet1919 said:
Oh so you're saying what I should've done was
x: 14.82 - 77.7
y: 21.97 - 41.2

Yes, it will be all right.

viet1919 said:
Is that so? And If you looked at the 26.5cos56. I thought it was -26.5cos56. But my teacher said the sign negative sign didn't matter or something. What does he mean?

First you calculated the x and y components of the vectors A and B. Then you did the operations with the components, multiplying by two and subtracting 2A from B.

Vectors can be add and subtract, and multiplied by scalars. You do it with the components, as the components are simply numbers. Then the results will be the components of the new vector.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Ah ok I get it now! Wow it amazes me how you can sort of "play" with the numbers and still get the same answer. Thank you so much ehild.

Related to Calculating Vector Magnitude and Angle

1. What is the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is its length or size. It is calculated by using the Pythagorean theorem, which involves finding the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. In other words, it is the distance from the tail to the head of the vector.

2. How is the magnitude of a vector represented?

The magnitude of a vector is commonly represented by using the symbol ||v||, where v is the vector. It can also be represented by using vertical bars around the vector, such as |v|.

3. What is the angle of a vector?

The angle of a vector is the direction in which it is pointing. It is typically measured in degrees or radians, and it is calculated by using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

4. How is the angle of a vector represented?

The angle of a vector is commonly represented by using the symbol θ or by using the phrase "angle of v." It can also be represented by using an arrow above the vector, pointing counterclockwise, with the angle symbol above it.

5. How are the magnitude and angle of a vector related?

The magnitude and angle of a vector are related through trigonometric functions. The magnitude is the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the vector's components, and the angle is one of the angles in the triangle. So, with the magnitude and angle, you can find the vector's components, and vice versa.