Calculating Vector Components for an Airplane's Trajectory

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a radar station detecting an airplane and tracking its position relative to the origin. The position vectors R_vec_A and R_vec_B are given, and the goal is to find the ordered pair (x,z) for the components of the vector R(AB). The solution involves using trigonometric functions to calculate the components of R_vec_A and R_vec_B, and then subtracting them to find R(AB). The mistake in the attempted solution is corrected and the correct answer is provided.
samxel

Homework Statement

A radar station, located at the origin of xz plane, as shown in the figure, detects an airplane coming straight at the station from the east. At first observation (point A), the position of the airplane relative to the origin is R_vec_A. The position vector R_vec_A has a magnitude of 360m and is located at exactly 40 degrees above the horizon. The airplane is tracked for another 123 degrees in the vertical east-west plane for 5.0s, until it has passed directly over the station and reached point B. The position of point B relative to the origin is R_vec_B (the magnitude of R_vec_B is 880 m).

find the ordered pair (x,z) for components of the vector R(AB), which I am suppose to be able to find by R(AB) = R(B) - R(A).

PICTURE OF PROBLEM

http://i37.tinypic.com/2pzfml1.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Vector A:
cos 40 = x/360; x = 276
sin 40 degrees = y/360; y = 231
RAx, RAz= (275.775 , 231.40)

Vector B:
angle (123+40=163; 180-163=17 degrees)
cos 17 = x/880; x =-841.55
sin 17 = y/880; y = 257.29
RBx,RBz= (-841.55, 257.29)

RBA = Vector B - Vector A = (-841.55, 257.29) - (275.775 , 231.40) = (-116.84,25.89)

MY ANSWER IS NOT RIGHT. I must be missing something but i can't see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
RBA = Vector B - Vector A = (-841.55, 257.29) - (275.775 , 231.40) = (-116.84,25.89)
Check this value.

oh damn! that was it . stupid calculator ;)

thanks a lot. Been doing work all day my mind is not working right, right now.

Related to Calculating Vector Components for an Airplane's Trajectory

1. What is vector addition and why is it important in science?

Vector addition is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vectors to create a new vector. It is important in science because many quantities in nature, such as velocity and force, can be represented by vectors and their addition allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of these quantities.

2. How do you add two vectors graphically?

To add two vectors graphically, you first draw the two vectors on a coordinate system with their tails at the same point. Then, you draw a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resulting vector is the sum of the two original vectors.

3. What is the difference between adding vectors algebraically and graphically?

Adding vectors algebraically involves using mathematical equations to find the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector. Adding vectors graphically involves physically drawing the vectors on a coordinate system and finding the resultant vector through visual representation.

4. Can vectors be added in any order?

Yes, vectors can be added in any order. The resultant vector will always be the same regardless of the order in which the vectors are added. This is known as the commutative property of vector addition.

5. How do you calculate the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector?

To calculate the magnitude of the resultant vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the hypotenuse formed by the two vectors. To find the direction, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine to determine the angle between the resultant vector and one of the original vectors.