Calculating Variables for Bending a Beam

• Thread starter EternityMech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam Bend
In summary, the maximum bending moment for a beam can be calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance between the point of application and the point of support. The deflection of a beam can be calculated using the formula: deflection = (5 * force * length^4) / (384 * modulus of elasticity * moment of inertia). The appropriate moment of inertia for a beam depends on the shape and dimensions of the cross section. A simply supported beam is supported at both ends, while a cantilever beam is supported at only one end, which affects the calculation of bending moments and deflection. To account for distributed loads, the total force from the load must be calculated and used in the formula for bending moments.
EternityMech
How many variables would i need?

I already know the

1.Length of beam
2.Weight of object on beam
3. Width
4.Thickness
5. Weight of beam
6. Young's module
7. Gravity? (not sure since the weight of object already has gravity and the same weight on the moon not mass would make it bend the same way am i right?)

What am i missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Position of object on beam?

You would also need to know the boundary conditions (how the beam is supported).

Related to Calculating Variables for Bending a Beam

1. How do I calculate the maximum bending moment for a beam?

The maximum bending moment can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the beam by the distance between the point of application and the point of support. This is also known as the product of the applied force and the moment arm.

2. What is the formula for calculating the deflection of a beam?

The formula for calculating the deflection of a beam is: deflection = (5 * force * length^4) / (384 * modulus of elasticity * moment of inertia)

3. How do I determine the appropriate moment of inertia for a beam?

The moment of inertia for a beam can be determined by the shape and dimensions of the cross section of the beam. The formula for moment of inertia varies depending on the shape of the cross section, such as rectangular, triangular, or circular.

4. What is the difference between a simply supported beam and a cantilever beam?

A simply supported beam is supported at both ends, while a cantilever beam is supported at only one end. This difference affects the calculation of bending moments and deflection for each type of beam.

5. How do I account for distributed loads when calculating bending moments?

To account for distributed loads when calculating bending moments, you must first calculate the total force from the distributed load by multiplying the load per unit length by the length of the beam. Then, this total force can be used in the formula for calculating bending moments.