Calculating Value of "a" for Independent X,Y Variables

• Thread starter ParisSpart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a value of 'a' that makes the denominator of the function f(m,n) factor into a function of n alone times a factor of m alone. The participants also consider using different names for the three different functions represented by 'f' in the problem. They discuss finding a generic form for the factors and using unknown constants to represent them. They also give a hint for finding a value of 'a' that would allow for factoring the function.
ParisSpart
we have X,Y variables and we have f(m,n)=P(X=m,Y=n)=C*((1/(a*m*n+15*m+11*n+8))^2)
for what value of a X,Y are indepedent? ( its not necessary to calculate C)

i know that f(m,n)=f(m)*f(n) if X,Y are independent but how i am going to use this for calculate a?

Physics news on Phys.org
ParisSpart said:
we have X,Y variables and we have f(m,n)=P(X=m,Y=n)=C*((1/(a*m*n+15*m+11*n+8))^2)
for what value of a X,Y are indepedent? ( its not necessary to calculate C)

i know that f(m,n)=f(m)*f(n) if X,Y are independent but how i am going to use this for calculate a?

Never write what you did: you are using the same symbol (f) to mean three different things in the same problem. Use three different names, such as f(m,n) = g(m) * h(n).

Anyway, you need to find a value of 'a' that makes the denominator factor into a function of n alone times a factor of m alone.

i will estimate (a*m*n+15*m+11*n+8)^2) ? if i will do it i find 10 terms

Parispart, follow the advice
Ray Vickson said:
you need to find a value of 'a' that makes the denominator factor into a function of n alone times a factor of m alone.

i understand that i have to find a factor of n times a factor of n but i try to think how to do it using the 'a'

ParisSpart said:
i understand that i have to find a factor of n times a factor of n but i try to think how to do it using the 'a'
When you have found a, what do you think the factors will look like, in general terms? Can you write a generic form for those factors, using some other unknown constants?

Hi ParisSpart! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
ParisSpart said:

Hint: if it was 1/(amn + m + n + 1)2,

how would you choose a so you could factor that? :wink:

(and what would the factors be?)

Related to Calculating Value of "a" for Independent X,Y Variables

1. What is the formula for calculating the value of "a" for independent X and Y variables?

The formula for calculating the value of "a" is a = (Σxy - (Σx)(Σy)/n)/(Σx^2 - (Σx)^2/n), where n is the number of data points.

2. How do I interpret the value of "a" in this calculation?

The value of "a" represents the slope of the regression line, also known as the rate of change between the independent and dependent variables. It indicates the direction and strength of the relationship between the two variables.

3. Can "a" have a negative value?

Yes, "a" can have a negative value. This indicates a negative relationship between the independent and dependent variables, where an increase in the independent variable leads to a decrease in the dependent variable.

4. Is it important to calculate the value of "a" for independent variables?

Yes, calculating the value of "a" is important as it helps to determine the significance and strength of the relationship between the independent and dependent variables. It also allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions from the data.

5. What other factors should be considered when calculating the value of "a" for independent variables?

Other factors that should be considered include the sample size, the type of data being analyzed, and the assumptions of the regression model being used. It is also important to assess the reliability and validity of the data before calculating the value of "a".