Calculating turns in a primary coil of a transformer

In summary, the problem is solved by using the equation P = IV to find the output voltage, which is 154 V. Then, the equation Np/Ns = Vp/Vs is used to find the number of coils in the primary coil, which is 87.66 turns. It is important to note that in a step-up transformer, the number of turns on the secondary coil is greater than the number of turns on the primary coil.
Bobazoide

Homework Statement

A 100 W transformer (Ns = 1500) has an input voltage of 9.0V and an output current of 0.65 A

Homework Equations

P = IV
Np/Ns = Is/Ip = Vp/Vs

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is that I'm not sure what a 100 watt transformer means. Assuming it means that it outputs, not inputs, 100 watts of power, then:

P = IV
100 = 0.65 V
V = 154 V

Np/Ns = Vp/Vs

Np/1500 = 9/154
Np = 87.66 turns.

I feel that mathematically I am doing everything correctly, but I thought that because voltage was being increased then the amount of coils in the primary coil should be more than in the secondary.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bobazoide said:

Homework Statement

A 100 W transformer (Ns = 1500) has an input voltage of 9.0V and an output current of 0.65 A

Homework Equations

P = IV
Np/Ns = Is/Ip = Vp/Vs

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is that I'm not sure what a 100 watt transformer means. Assuming it means that it outputs, not inputs, 100 watts of power, then:

P = IV
100 = 0.65 V
V = 154 V

Np/Ns = Vp/Vs

Np/1500 = 9/154
Np = 87.66 turns.

I feel that mathematically I am doing everything correctly, but I thought that because voltage was being increased then the amount of coils in the primary coil should be more than in the secondary.

Thanks.

Looks like you've done just fine. A step-up transformer has more turns on the secondary than on the primary. It's the ratio of turns that sets the "magnification" factor for the voltage.

Oh okay, I wasn't clear on that. Thank you very much!

Related to Calculating turns in a primary coil of a transformer

1. How do you calculate the number of turns in a primary coil of a transformer?

The number of turns in a primary coil of a transformer can be calculated by using the formula Np = (Vin x Ip x D) / (Vout x Is), where Np is the number of turns, Vin is the input voltage, Ip is the input current, D is the duty cycle, Vout is the output voltage, and Is is the output current.

2. What is the purpose of calculating turns in a primary coil of a transformer?

The purpose of calculating turns in a primary coil of a transformer is to determine the optimal number of turns needed to achieve the desired input and output voltage and current ratios. This helps in designing and constructing efficient and effective transformers for various applications.

3. What factors affect the number of turns in a primary coil of a transformer?

The number of turns in a primary coil of a transformer is affected by factors such as the input and output voltage and current requirements, the type of core material used, the frequency of the input signal, and the desired efficiency of the transformer.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating turns in a primary coil of a transformer?

Yes, there are various formulas that can be used to calculate the number of turns in a primary coil of a transformer. The most commonly used formula is Np = (Vin x Ip x D) / (Vout x Is), where Np is the number of turns, Vin is the input voltage, Ip is the input current, D is the duty cycle, Vout is the output voltage, and Is is the output current.

5. Are there any tools or software available for calculating turns in a primary coil of a transformer?

Yes, there are various online calculators and software programs available that can help in calculating the number of turns in a primary coil of a transformer. These tools take into account various factors such as input and output voltage and current, core material, and frequency to provide accurate results.