Calculating Triangle Area in Relativity Theory

In summary: Area of triangle from pictureIn summary, the triangle will be an isosceles triangle with the angle at the apex being greater and the base angles being correspondingly smaller.
LagrangeEuler
Area of triangle from picture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_right_triangle#/media/File:45-45-triangle.svg
is ##A_0=\frac{1}{2}##. If that triangle staying still in system S' and S' moving across one of the sides of length ##1## in respect to system ##S## area of the triangle in the system S will be ##A=A_0\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}##. I am confused what will happen if triangle moving across side of length ##\sqrt{2}##. What area of triangle in the system S will be?

Physics news on Phys.org
LagrangeEuler said:
If that triangle staying still in system S' and S' moving across one of the sides of length ##1## in respect to system ##S## area of the triangle in the system S will be ##A=A_0\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}##. I am confused what will happen if triangle moving across side of length ##\sqrt{2}##. What area of triangle in the system S will be?
It will be ##A=A_0\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}##

And could you explain me why?

What's the formula for the area of a triangle?

LagrangeEuler said:
And could you explain me why?
If you take any figure and change the scale in one direction then the area will change by that same amount. The details of the figure don’t matter.

Consider breaking an arbitrary figure into a bunch of square pixels in the rest frame. When you transform it, you have the same number of squares, but now they are rectangles.

Dale said:
If you take any figure and change the scale in one direction then the area will change by that same amount. The details of the figure don’t matter.

Consider breaking an arbitrary figure into a bunch of square pixels in the rest frame. When you transform it, you have the same number of squares, but now they are rectangles.
I am confused with that. Because only one direction is shorten.

So would someone who sits in S see triangle anymore in that case?

LagrangeEuler said:
Can you explain your confusion? If you shorten one direction of a square, is it not obviously a rectangle?

Likes Ibix
End what about this case? Will observer in S will see triangle?

Attachments

• triangle.png
    triangle.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 144
LagrangeEuler said:
And what about this case? Will observer in S will see triangle?
Yes, but...

We need to be careful about using the word "see" here. When we say that we "see" an object, we're actually seeing the image on the retina of our eyes (or the pixel array of a digital camera, or a sheet of photographic film if we're using an old-fashioned camera) formed by light reflected from the object. Different parts of the object are different distances from the eye so the light that forms the image left different parts of the object at different times; for a fast moving object the image we see won't be an accurate representation of the entire object at anyone moment.

Thus, to observe length contraction, we have to calculate where the various parts of the object are at the same time. In principle we would fill all of space with tiny observers, all at rest relative to us and holding synchronized clocks and pieces of paper. At exactly the stroke of midnight they all write down whether a piece of the triangle is passing by them just then; afterwards, we gather up the pieces of paper and use them to reconstruct exactly where the triangle was at the stroke of midnight. When people talk about "seeing" that the triange is length-contracted, that's usually what they mean, and that's what I meant when I answered "yes" above.

The triangle will still be an isoceles triangle, but because it is length-contracted along the direction of travel, the angle at the apex will be greater and the two base angles will be correspondingly smaller.

Last edited:
Likes Motore and Dale
In Special Relativity, the y and z directions are not contracted

LagrangeEuler said:
Divide the arbitrary shape into squares all aligned with the direction of motion, and length contraction will turn them into rectangles of smaller area. The total area is the sum of the areas of each individual rectangle, so will also be less.

Yes, there’s a bit of error at the edges of the object where the squats don’t exactly fit... but that error can be made arbitrarily small by using more smaller squares.

Likes vanhees71
Nugatory said:
Divide the arbitrary shape into squares
I tried that approach earlier in post 5. @LagrangeEuler doesn’t seem to recognize that a square with one direction shortened is a rectangle, but he wouldn’t explain why. Maybe your more detailed version will work for him.

My approach was going to be to observe that if the triangle moves parallel to one of its sides, we can declare that side to be the base, then observe that the area is half base times height. Base is Lorentz contracted; height is not; straight lines remain straight. The conclusion is obvious.

Related to Calculating Triangle Area in Relativity Theory

1. What is the formula for calculating the area of a triangle in relativity theory?

The formula for calculating the area of a triangle in relativity theory is A = (1/2)absinθ, where a and b are the lengths of two sides of the triangle and θ is the angle between them.

2. How does relativity theory affect the calculation of triangle area?

In relativity theory, time and space are interconnected, and the concept of distance is relative. This means that the measurement of sides and angles in a triangle may differ depending on the observer's frame of reference. Therefore, the formula for calculating triangle area in relativity theory takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

3. Can the area of a triangle be negative in relativity theory?

Yes, in relativity theory, it is possible for the area of a triangle to be negative. This can occur when the triangle is formed by three points that are moving at different velocities and the relative distance between them changes over time. The negative area represents a folded or overlapping triangle.

4. How does the shape of a triangle change in relativity theory?

In relativity theory, the shape of a triangle can change due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction. This means that the angles and sides of a triangle may appear different to observers in different frames of reference. However, the overall area of the triangle remains the same.

5. Is the formula for calculating triangle area in relativity theory the same as in classical geometry?

No, the formula for calculating triangle area in relativity theory is different from the formula used in classical geometry. This is because relativity theory takes into account the effects of time and space on the measurement of distances and angles, while classical geometry assumes a fixed and absolute space and time.