Calculating toxicant concentration

In summary, the conversation is about preparing a toxicity bioassay using nitrate (NO3-) as the test toxicant. The aim is to determine the lethal concentration (LC50) for a species with nitrate. The method is based on a previous work that used sodium nitrate (NaNO3) as the source of nitrate. The test concentrations used in the previous study ranged from 5 to 160 mg NO3-N/L. The question is whether 10 mg of nitrate per liter should be calculated as 10 mg of NaNO3, 13.71 mg of NaNO3, or 60.71 mg of NaNO3. The correct answer is c) 60.71 mg of Na
PedroAndrade
Hi!

In my lab we're preparing a toxicity bioassay using nitrate (NO3-) as the test toxicant. The tests we're doing are range-finding tests, to help determine the lethal concentration (LC50) for that species with nitrate.

We are following the lead of another work (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V74-4F02KWG-B&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=172b82c36ff657803f003c89ddaca62d") which used sodium nitrate (NaNO3) as the source of nitrate. In that article, the test concentrations used for a similar species range from 5 to 160 mg NO3-N/L. This is where my understanding of chemistry is lacking. I'll try to illustrate my doubts with an example:

If I want to find the LC50 for a solution of 10 mg nitrate/L, what do I calculate exactly?
a) 10 mg of NaNO3
b) 13,71 mg of NaNO3 - corresponding to 10 mg of NO3-
c) 60,71 mg of NaNO3 - corresponding to 10 mg of N

My feeling is that b) is correct, but the notation NO3-N is throwing me off. Can anyone help out with this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I thought it was b) too, lucky thing I asked a friend who's an environmental microbiologist.

It's c). "NO3-N/l" should be read as 'Nitrate nitrogen per liter". So it's just the amount of nitrogen.

Thank you very much alxm! You stopped my day from becoming the new season of 24.:smile:

Related to Calculating toxicant concentration

1. How do you calculate toxicant concentration?

To calculate toxicant concentration, you will need to know the amount of toxicant present in a given substance, as well as the volume or weight of the substance. Then, use the formula: concentration = mass of toxicant / volume of substance.

2. What units are typically used to measure toxicant concentration?

Toxicant concentration is typically measured in units of mass per unit volume, such as milligrams per liter (mg/L) or parts per million (ppm). Other common units include micrograms per liter (μg/L) and parts per billion (ppb).

3. Can you calculate toxicant concentration in a mixture?

Yes, you can calculate toxicant concentration in a mixture by first determining the total volume or weight of the mixture, then using the formula mentioned in question 1 to calculate the concentration of the toxicant within the mixture.

4. How do you convert between different units of toxicant concentration?

To convert between different units of toxicant concentration, you can use conversion factors or online conversion calculators. For example, to convert from mg/L to ppm, you can multiply the concentration in mg/L by 1,000.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating toxicant concentration?

Yes, there are some limitations to calculating toxicant concentration. One limitation is that the concentration of a toxicant may vary in different areas of a substance or mixture, making it difficult to determine a precise overall concentration. Additionally, certain substances may interact with the toxicant, affecting its concentration in the mixture. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when calculating toxicant concentration.