Solving Exercise: Finding Velocity Vector of Cyclist

In summary, the two cyclists are moving in opposite directions at different speeds and angles. The second cyclist sees the first cyclist's motion as having a relative velocity of 10m/s to North-west. However, this is incorrect as the relative velocity should be 10m/s to North-east due to the forgotten component of the first cyclist's velocity along the second cyclist's axis.
Azeri
Hi! I have an exercise here that I can't solve. Help please.

"One of two cylists cycles in the north-west direction at a speed of 8 m/s making an angle of 53 with the west. The other cyclist cycles in north-east direction at a speed of 6m/s making an angle of 37 with the east. How does the second cyclist see the motion of first one?" (magnitude of velocity vector and direction)

Thanks... :

Physics news on Phys.org
As usual show us what you've done.

The obvious starting point is: What is the angle between the two cyclists?

It must be 90

Yes, so what will the coponents of the relative velocity of the first cyclist (to the second cyclist)

a) along his (the second cyclist's) diretcion of travel

b) 90 degrees to his direction of travel

I've found all Vx and Vy 's and Vrelative is 10m/s to North -West. But the answer in book is 10m/s to North-east

It sounds to me is what you've done is forgotten that the component of the first cyclist's velocity (relative to the second cyclist) along the the second cyclist's axis will be opposite and equal to the second cyclist's actual velocity.

Azeri said:
I've found all Vx and Vy 's and Vrelative is 10m/s to North -West. But the answer in book is 10m/s to North-east
Your answer makes sense to me. Since they are separating along the east-west axis, the relative velocity (of the first with respect to the second) must have a westward component.

I use this formula: Vrelative=Vc1-Vc2

Azeri said:
Vrelative=Vc1-Vc2
That is correct.

Thanks. Now I am sure about my answer.

What is the formula for finding the velocity vector of a cyclist?

The formula for finding the velocity vector of a cyclist is V = d/t, where V is the velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time taken to travel that distance.

How do you calculate the direction of the velocity vector for a cyclist?

The direction of the velocity vector for a cyclist can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the x-component of the vector is the cosine of the angle between the cyclist's direction of motion and the x-axis, and the y-component is the sine of that same angle.

What are the units for the velocity vector of a cyclist?

The units for the velocity vector of a cyclist are meters per second (m/s). This represents the rate at which the cyclist is traveling in a certain direction.

What factors can affect the velocity vector of a cyclist?

Some factors that can affect the velocity vector of a cyclist include the cyclist's physical ability, the terrain they are riding on, the type of bike they are using, and external forces such as wind or gravity.

How can finding the velocity vector of a cyclist be useful in real-world applications?

Knowing the velocity vector of a cyclist can be useful in sports science, for training and performance analysis. It can also be used in traffic engineering to optimize cycling routes and improve safety for cyclists. In physics, the velocity vector can be used to calculate other important quantities such as acceleration and momentum.