Calculating Total Mass of Nitrogen in Atmosphere

In summary, if you want to calculate the mass of nitrogen in the atmosphere, you need to use the density of air and the density of gaseous nitrogen under normal conditions of pressure & temperature. To do this, you need the mass of the atmosphere, the average partial pressure of nitrogen, and the density of air. You then multiply the mass of the atmosphere with the density of air to get the mass of nitrogen in the atmosphere.
gunnar
Hi. Can someone give me a hint to how to calculate total mass of nitrogen in the atmosphere. I've calculated the mass of all the atmosphere, I got the percent by volume of nitrogen to be 78.03 %. I converted the mass of the atmosphere to Liters. I got the volume of nitrogen to be 3.18e21 L and converted to 3,099 e18 kg. The correct answear is 3,96e18 kg can't see what I doing wrong. To get the Kg of nitrogen I used the partial pressure of N2 in O°C and the gas equation to get the moles of N2. Maybe I'm getting the partial pressure wrong. I did 78.03/100 = 0,7803*1 atm

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not completely sure, but I'd suggest using the old [itex]PV=nRT[/itex], using the volume of the atmosphere, along with the average partial pressure of Nitrogen.

U need the density of air and the density of gaseous nitrogen under normal conditions of pressure & temperature.

100l air------------------------x Kg air
100 l air----------------------78.03 l N_{2}
78.03 l N_{2}----------------- y Kg N_{2}

Therefore the massic concentration of N_{2} is y/x...

Multiply the massic concentration with the mass of the atmosphere & u'll find the mass of N_{2}

Daniel.

Thanks Daniel. I did what you told me, if I got it right I still didn't get the right answear. Calculated the density of air and N2 in STP multiplied by 100 and 78.03 respectively. the difference was about 0.5 something. multiplied with the mass of air whis is 5,266e18 Kg. Should get 3,96e18 Kg got 3,01e18 Kg

The density of air under normal conditions of pressure & temp.is

[tex] \rho_{air}^{STP}\simeq \frac{28.89}{22.41} Kg \ m^{-3}[/tex]

The density of nitrogen under normal conditions of temp & pressure is

[tex] \rho_{N_{2}}^{STP} \simeq \frac{28}{22.41} Kg \ m^{-3}[/tex]

So 22.41 l of air contain [itex] 28.89 \cdot 10^{-3} \ Kg [/itex] of air.Now,22.41 l of air contain 78.03% N_{2} which means exactly

[tex] \frac{22.41\cdot 78.03}{100} \ l _{N_{2}} [/tex]

The mass of N_{2} in 22.41 l air is

[tex] mass_{N_{2}}=\frac{22.41\cdot 10^{-3} m^{-3} \cdot 78.03}{100}\cdot \frac{28}{22.41}Kg \ m^{-3}=\frac{28 \cdot 78.03 \cdot 10^{-3}}{100} \ Kg [/tex]

The massic concentration is

[tex] n_{massic}^{N_{2}}=\frac{28\cdot 78.03 \ 10^{-3} \ Kg}{100} \frac{1}{28.89 \cdot 10^{-3} \ Kg} =\frac{78.03}{100}\cdot \frac{28}{28.89} [/tex]

Then the mass of N_{2} in the atmosphere under normal cond-s of temp & press. is

[tex] m_{N_{2}}^{atmosphere,STP} =m_{atmosphere} \cdot \frac{78.03}{100}\cdot\frac{28}{28.89} [/tex]

Daniel.

Last edited:
It works. Thanks a lot

Related to Calculating Total Mass of Nitrogen in Atmosphere

1. How is the total mass of nitrogen in the atmosphere calculated?

The total mass of nitrogen in the atmosphere is calculated by multiplying the percentage of nitrogen in the atmosphere (78%) by the total mass of the atmosphere. This gives us the mass of nitrogen in the atmosphere in kilograms.

2. What is the total mass of nitrogen in the atmosphere?

The total mass of nitrogen in the atmosphere is approximately 3.8 x 10^15 kilograms.

3. How does the total mass of nitrogen in the atmosphere affect the Earth's climate?

Nitrogen is a non-reactive gas and does not directly affect the Earth's climate. However, the presence of nitrogen in the atmosphere is essential for the growth of plants, which play a crucial role in regulating the Earth's climate through the process of photosynthesis.

4. Is the total mass of nitrogen in the atmosphere constant?

Yes, the total mass of nitrogen in the atmosphere remains relatively constant. Nitrogen is a stable gas and is not easily removed from the atmosphere through chemical reactions. However, human activities such as burning fossil fuels and agricultural practices can alter the balance of nitrogen in the atmosphere.

5. How is the total mass of nitrogen in the atmosphere measured?

The total mass of nitrogen in the atmosphere is measured using various methods, such as air sampling and remote sensing techniques. These methods involve collecting air samples from different locations and altitudes and analyzing them for nitrogen concentration. Remote sensing techniques use satellites to measure the concentration of nitrogen in the atmosphere from space.