Calculating total kinetic energy of a car at a given velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of considering rotational kinetic energy when calculating the total kinetic energy of a system, specifically in the context of a car's wheels and flywheel. The speakers also mention the significance of rotational kinetic energy in different scenarios, such as with diesel engines and traction engines.
Phunee
When calculating the total kinetic energy do i have to take into account the rotational kinetic energy of the wheels?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. It's kinetic energy so it contributes to the total kinetic energy.

Thanks

But is the RKE of the wheels significant compared to the translational KE of the car? It might make an instructive exercise to calculate the RKE of e.g. a solid disk of mass M rotating with angular speed ω = v/R where v is the linear speed of the car and R is the radius of the wheel.

For some old diesel engines, the RKE of the flywheel could be significant, too. If you ran the engine at full speed, with the car stationary and then lifted the valves and let the clutch in, the car would move forward at 'significant speed', implying that the RKE of the flywheel could be significant at low car speeds.
I can't do that experiment with my 3.5 ton boat because I can only engage drive with the engine on tick over but, as KE is proportional to v2 and the maximum speed is less than 10 km/hr, the flywheel energy must be significant. I must do the sums one day.

They used to quote the instantaneous horse power of traction engines for when you would use the flywheel to provide some high power in bursts.

What about the KE of the pistons?

Related to Calculating total kinetic energy of a car at a given velocity

1. How is the total kinetic energy of a car at a given velocity calculated?

The total kinetic energy of a car at a given velocity is calculated by using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the car, and v is the velocity.

2. What is the unit of measurement for total kinetic energy?

The unit of measurement for total kinetic energy is Joules (J).

3. Does the mass of the car affect the total kinetic energy?

Yes, the mass of the car directly affects the total kinetic energy. The higher the mass, the higher the kinetic energy at a given velocity.

4. Can the total kinetic energy of a car at a given velocity be negative?

No, the total kinetic energy of a car at a given velocity cannot be negative. The kinetic energy represents the energy of motion, and therefore, can only be positive or zero.

5. What happens to the total kinetic energy of a car if its velocity is doubled?

If the velocity of a car is doubled, the total kinetic energy will quadruple. This is because the kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of the velocity, according to the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2.