Calculating Total Energy and Vertical Height of Rolling Sphere on Incline

To summarize, a solid sphere is rolling without slipping with a mass of 0.599 kg and a speed of 5.07 m/s. It encounters an incline with an angle of 37.0°. The total energy of the sphere can be found using the equations (1/2)mv^2 + (1/5)mv^2, but the angle does not need to be incorporated unless friction is considered. The angle is needed in order to find the vertical height the sphere will reach on the incline. However, it becomes more complicated if other forces are taken into account.
kbyws37
A solid sphere of mass 0.599 kg rolls without slipping along a horizontal surface with a translational speed of 5.07 m/s. It comes to an incline that makes an angle of 37.0° with the horizontal surface.

(a) What is the total energy of the rolling sphere? Neglect energy losses due to friction.
(b) To what vertical height above the horizontal surface does the sphere rise on the incline?

To find the total energy of a rolling sphere...
(1/2)mv^2 + (1/5)mv^2
but how would i incorporate 37 degrees?

Physics news on Phys.org
kbyws37 said:
but how would i incorporate 37 degrees?
Maybe you don't have to

It only makes a difference if you have to take friction into account.

You'll need the angle in (b).

radou said:
You'll need the angle in (b).
Can you convince me?

It is not necessary for the 'vertical' height. Unless you take into account other forces which makes it more complicated. But then, it does matter.

OlderDan said:
Can you convince me?

Actually, by thinking over, I can't. :smile:

Apologies, I hope I didn't cause confusion.

Related to Calculating Total Energy and Vertical Height of Rolling Sphere on Incline

1. What is total energy?

Total energy refers to the sum of all forms of energy present in a system. This includes kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, chemical energy, and any other type of energy that may be present.

2. How is total energy calculated?

Total energy can be calculated by adding together the energies of each individual component in a system. For example, in a simple pendulum, the total energy would be the sum of the kinetic and potential energy of the pendulum bob.

3. Why is total energy important?

Total energy is important because it gives us a comprehensive understanding of the overall energy of a system. It allows us to make predictions about how the system will behave and how energy will be transferred or transformed within the system.

4. Can total energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, total energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a closed system will remain constant over time.

5. How is total energy related to work and heat?

Total energy is related to work and heat through the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in total energy of a system is equal to the sum of the work done on the system and the heat added to the system. This equation can be written as ΔE = W + Q, where ΔE is the change in total energy, W is the work, and Q is the heat added.