Calculating Total Antenna Power for Modulated Carrier Wave

In summary: I don't think I have done anything special. :tongue2:When you're ready for numbers:what is power, given voltage amplitude? (assume 1 ohm as before).Power is the rate at which energy is transferred, which can be calculated using the formula:$$P=\frac{V^2}{R}$$where V is the voltage amplitude and R is the resistance.So, in this case, the power of the carrier wave is:$$P_c=\frac{A_c^2}{2}$$And the power of the modulating wave is:$$P_m=\frac{\mu^2A_c^2}{4}$$Therefore, the total power
Saitama

Homework Statement

A 600W carrier wave is modulated to a depth of 75%by a 400Hz sine wave. Find the total antenna power.

(1) 769W
(2) 796W
(3) 679W
(4) 637.5W

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know what to do here. I have tried to find a relevant equation in the chapter related to Communication system present in my textbook but I couldn't find anything useful. The solution uses the following formula:

$$P_T=P_c\left(1+\frac{m^2}{2}\right)$$

Where can I find the above formula? :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Any textbook discussing "ordinary" AM would do. I'm sure many Websites would also.

By "ordinary" I mean like your AM broadcast band radio. The signal has a carrier and two sidebands. There are other AM signal types, e.g. DSB/SC (double-sideband suppressed carrier) etc.

rude man said:
Any textbook discussing "ordinary" AM would do. I'm sure many Websites would also.

By "ordinary" I mean like your AM broadcast band radio. The signal has a carrier and two sidebands. There are other AM signal types, e.g. DSB/SC (double-sideband suppressed carrier) etc.

Hi rude man! :)

Please have a look at this: http://www.ncert.nic.in/NCERTS/textbook/textbook.htm?leph2=7-7

The above link shows the chapter I am currently looking at in my book. I couldn't find that formula.

Can you please share a link?

Your textbook is not very detailed. But you could start from equation 15.3. You know that power is the square of amplitude (assume 1 ohm real impedance).

You will start with an expression like (a + b)2. You know how to expand this. Then you will need to tke the time average of the squared expression.

Then, one very important point: assume the modulating signal f(t) varies slowly compared to the carrier. This means that a term like f(t)2cos2(wt) can be time-averaged by considering f(t) constant: < f(t)2 cos2(wt) > = <f(t)2 > * < cos2(wt) >.

By deriving the power expression yourself you will learn a lot more than by just looking the formula up somewhere. But I'm sure you can find an expression for AM power in many places on the Web.

rude man said:
Your textbook is not very detailed. But you could start from equation 15.3. You know that power is the square of amplitude (assume 1 ohm real impedance).

You will start with an expression like (a + b)2. You know how to expand this. Then you will need to take the time average of the squared expression.

Then, one very important point: assume the modulating signal f(t) varies slowly compared to the carrier. This means that a term like f(t)2cos2(wt) can be time-averaged by considering f(t) constant: < f(t)2 cos2(wt) > = <f(t)2 > * < cos2(wt) >.

Equation 15.3:
$$c_m(t)=A_c\left(1+\frac{A_m}{A_c}\sin(\omega_m t)\right)\sin(\omega_c t)$$
Squaring both the sides gives:
$$c_m^2(t)=A_c^2\left(1+\frac{A_m}{A_c}\sin(\omega_m t)\right)^2\sin^2(\omega_c t)$$
I first calculate the average of ##f^2(t)## i.e
$$f^2(t)=A_c^2\left(1+\mu^2\sin^2(\omega_m t)+2\mu \sin(\omega_m t)\right)$$
$$\Rightarrow <f^2(t)>=A_c^2\left(1+\frac{\mu^2}{2}\right)$$
Hence,
$$<c_m^2(t)>=\frac{A_c^2}{2}\left(1+\frac{\mu^2}{2}\right)$$
where ##\mu=A_m/A_c##. The above looks a lot like the formula I mentioned in #1.

How to proceed now?
By deriving the power expression yourself you will learn a lot more than by just looking the formula up somewhere. But I'm sure you can find an expression for AM power in many places on the Web.
If I look it up on the internet, what would be the point of creating this thread? :-p

I don't think they will ask these questions.

utkarshakash said:
I don't think they will ask these questions.

I don't know if the test paper will include this kind of question but previous year too there was a weird kind of question (which, I feel is based on this chapter) . Problem 12: http://www.resonance.ac.in/jee-main-2013-answer-key-solutions/jee-main-paper-1-solutions-2013-english-1.1.pdf

Pranav-Arora said:
Equation 15.3:
$$c_m(t)=A_c\left(1+\frac{A_m}{A_c}\sin(\omega_m t)\right)\sin(\omega_c t)$$

Rewrite as

cm(t) = A{1 + μ sin(ωmt)}sin(ωct)

= Asin(ωct) + f(t) sin(ωct)
where f(t) = μA sin(ωmt)

so cm(t) = Asin(ωct) + μAsin(ωmt) sin(ωct)

from which you can see that < f2(t) > cannot be finite if μ = 0. So work on the last equation above to get < f2(t) > correct, then the total power is two terms, one is the carrier only and the other is the modulation only.

If I look it up on the internet, what would be the point of creating this thread? :-p

You're absolutely right of course. It's just that most people would choose the textbook way out, which of course teaches them nothing. You are one in ten or twenty, congratulations!

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
When you're ready for numbers:
what is power, given voltage amplitude? (assume 1 ohm as before).

rude man said:
Rewrite as

cm(t) = A{1 + μ sin(ωmt)}sin(ωct)

= Asin(ωct) + f(t) sin(ωct)
where f(t) = μA sin(ωmt)

so cm(t) = Asin(ωct) + μAsin(ωmt) sin(ωct)

from which you can see that < f2(t) > cannot be finite if μ = 0. So work on the last equation above to get < f2(t) > correct, then the total power is two terms, one is the carrier only and the other is the modulation only.

$$c_m(t)=A\sin(\omega_c t)+\mu A\sin(\omega_mt)\sin(\omega_ct)$$
$$\Rightarrow c_m^2(t)=A^2\sin^2(\omega_c t)+\mu^2A^2\sin^2(\omega_mt)\sin^2(\omega_ct)+2\mu A^2\sin(\omega_mt)\sin^2(\omega_ct)$$
$$\Rightarrow <c_m^2(t)>=\frac{A^2}{2}+\frac{\mu^2A^2}{4}$$

The third term becomes zero, right?

$$\Rightarrow <c_m^2(t)>=\frac{A^2}{2}\left(1+\frac{\mu^2}{2}\right)$$
Isn't this the same expression I wrote before? :rolleyes:

You're absolutely right of course. It's just that most people would choose the textbook way out, which of course teaches them nothing. You are one in ten or twenty, congratulations!
Thanks! :blushing:

Pranav-Arora said:
$$c_m(t)=A\sin(\omega_c t)+\mu A\sin(\omega_mt)\sin(\omega_ct)$$
$$\Rightarrow c_m^2(t)=A^2\sin^2(\omega_c t)+\mu^2A^2\sin^2(\omega_mt)\sin^2(\omega_ct)+2\mu A^2\sin(\omega_mt)\sin^2(\omega_ct)$$
$$\Rightarrow <c_m^2(t)>=\frac{A^2}{2}+\frac{\mu^2A^2}{4}$$

The third term becomes zero, right?

$$\Rightarrow <c_m^2(t)>=\frac{A^2}{2}\left(1+\frac{\mu^2}{2}\right)$$
Isn't this the same expression I wrote before? :rolleyes:

Thanks! :blushing:

Well, your answer is correct. Looks like we had different definitions of f(t).
Superb work!

rude man said:
Well, your answer is correct. Looks like we had different definitions of f(t).
Superb work!

But I don't think that what I have arrived at is correct.

You said that the power is the square of amplitude, from that I get:
$$P_T=\frac{P_c}{2}\left(1+\frac{\mu^2}{2}\right)$$

This is not what I mentioned in #1. :confused:

Is the formula mentioned in #1 incorrect?

Pranav-Arora said:
But I don't think that what I have arrived at is correct.

You said that the power is the square of amplitude, from that I get:
$$P_T=\frac{P_c}{2}\left(1+\frac{\mu^2}{2}\right)$$

This is not what I mentioned in #1. :confused:

Is the formula mentioned in #1 incorrect?

No, the formula in 1 is correct. Yours is not.

Proof: let μ = 0, then what is the power in Asin(ωct)? It sure is Pc, is it not?
So complete the equation "Pc = ... (a function of A)."

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
rude man said:
So complete the equation "Pc = ... (a function of A)."

##P_c=A^2/2##? :rolleyes:

Pranav-Arora said:
##P_c=A^2/2##? :rolleyes:

Yes! I hope you see why.

Likes 1 person
rude man said:
Yes! I hope you see why.

Yes, I do, thanks a lot rude man! :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
Yes, I do, thanks a lot rude man! :smile:

Happy to have helped someone who really wants to learn as oposed to just passing a course.

Likes 1 person

Related to Calculating Total Antenna Power for Modulated Carrier Wave

1. What is antenna power and why is it important?

Antenna power is the amount of electromagnetic energy that an antenna radiates or receives. It is important because it determines the range and strength of wireless communication signals.

2. How is antenna power calculated?

Antenna power can be calculated by multiplying the transmitted power by the antenna gain. The formula is P = Pg x G, where P is the antenna power, Pg is the transmitted power, and G is the antenna gain.

3. What is antenna gain and how does it affect antenna power?

Antenna gain is a measure of how well an antenna converts input power into radio waves. It affects antenna power because a higher gain antenna will produce a stronger signal and therefore increase the overall antenna power.

4. What units are used to measure antenna power?

Antenna power is typically measured in decibels (dB) or milliwatts (mW). Decibels are a logarithmic unit used to compare power levels, while milliwatts are a direct measure of power.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect antenna power?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect antenna power, such as the frequency of the signal, the size and design of the antenna, and the surrounding environment (e.g. obstacles, interference). These factors should be taken into consideration when calculating antenna power.