Calculating Torques for Equilibrium of Truss System

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the external forces and moments on a truss in order to maintain equilibrium. The task at hand is to determine the magnitude of forces P and F along bars AB and AE, respectively. The first step is to find all external forces based on the conditions for equilibrium, including calculating the moments of all external forces with respect to A. It is also mentioned that in US physics, moments are referred to as torques.
paulmdrdo
I wonder if there's a physics person here who could help me solve this problem.

the loads applied to the truss shown in the figure cause reactions shown at A & D. A free body diagram of hinge A forms concurrent force system shown enclosed at A. Determine the magnitude of forces P & F directed respectively along bars AB & AE that maintain equilibrium of this system.

Attachments

• statics2.png
    statics2.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 64
Mathematics news on Phys.org
LATEBLOOMER said:
I wonder if there's a physics person here who could help me solve this problem.

the loads applied to the truss shown in the figure cause reactions shown at A & D. A free body diagram of hinge A forms concurrent force system shown enclosed at A. Determine the magnitude of forces P & F directed respectively along bars AB & AE that maintain equilibrium of this system.

Hi LATEBLOOMER! :)

First step is to find all external forces based on the conditions for equilibrium ($\sum F_x = 0, \sum F_y = 0, \sum M_A = 0$).

Suppose the external force at A on the truss has 2 components $A_x$ and $A_y$, and similarly at D we have $D_x$ and $D_y$. Can you find these forces?
I suggest you start with calculating the moments of all external forces with respect to A.

I like Serena said:
I suggest you start with calculating the moments of all external forces with respect to A.

Just a comment: in US physics, at least, moments are called torques. See here and here.

Related to Calculating Torques for Equilibrium of Truss System

1. What is equilibrium of current forces?

Equilibrium of current forces refers to a state in which the net force acting on an object is zero, resulting in a balanced system. This means that all the forces acting on the object are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, causing the object to remain at rest or continue moving at a constant speed.

2. How is equilibrium of current forces calculated?

To calculate equilibrium of current forces, we use the principle of vector addition. This involves finding the vector sum of all the forces acting on the object and ensuring that it equals zero. This can be done by considering the forces in the horizontal and vertical directions separately and using mathematical equations such as Newton's second law.

3. What are the conditions for equilibrium of current forces?

The conditions for equilibrium of current forces are: 1) the net force acting on the object is zero, 2) the object is either at rest or moving at a constant speed, and 3) the forces acting on the object are balanced, meaning they are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

4. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium of current forces?

Static equilibrium of current forces refers to a state in which the object is at rest, while dynamic equilibrium refers to a state in which the object is moving at a constant speed. In both cases, the net force acting on the object is zero and the forces are balanced, but in static equilibrium, the object is not in motion while in dynamic equilibrium, the object is in motion.

5. How is the concept of equilibrium of current forces used in real life?

The concept of equilibrium of current forces is used in many real-life applications, such as building structures, bridges, and machines. Engineers and architects use the principles of equilibrium to ensure that structures are stable and can withstand external forces. It is also used in physics experiments to study the behavior of objects under different forces and to calculate unknown forces.