Calculating Torque with Vectors at an Angle

In summary, if you are calculating torque from point B, you would need to take the perpendicular component of force T to find the lever arm and then use the line of action to find the torque.
lukatwo

Homework Statement

So I was wondering how do we account for vectors that are at a certain angle. The problem that I'm having with the picture is: if I was calculating torque from point B, how would I account for the vector G.
mmUnGvT.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried taking the component that's vertical to the slope, but in that case what is the lever arm? Is it where the vector G crosses the slope(point D)?

Physics news on Phys.org
lukatwo said:

Homework Statement

So I was wondering how do we account for vectors that are at a certain angle. The problem that I'm having with the picture is: if I was calculating torque from point B, how would I account for the vector G.
mmUnGvT.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried taking the component that's vertical to the slope, but in that case what is the lever arm? Is it where the vector G crosses the slope(point D)?
Try taking the component that's perpendicular to the ramp (incline).

Do you know about the line of action for a force -- in this case force G ?

I've tried taking the perpendicular component, but not sure what the lever arm is. I'm not sure how to determine the line of action.

lukatwo said:
I've tried taking the perpendicular component, but not sure what the lever arm is. I'm not sure how to determine the line of action.

By extending the force T, you can see that it will contact point D. So it is like you're applying the force T directly on point D and the lever arm will be BD. Then take the perpendicular component of force T relative to the slope.

You can always check.
If we assume that BT is perpendicular to force T (note: BT is the dist. bet. B and T)
From the figure, the τ = T*(BT) . But, BT = BDsin(90-α). Therefore τ = T*(BDsin(90-α)) [1].
Returning to your problem, τ = Txr where r is the lever arm. The perpendicular component of T is Tsin(90-α). Therefore τ = Tsin(90-α)*r = T*(BDsin(90-α)) from [1]. Therefore r = BD.

Likes 1 person

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of torque and its calculation. Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation. In this case, the force is represented by the vector G and the distance is the lever arm.

To account for vectors at an angle, we can use the concept of vector decomposition. This means breaking down the vector into its horizontal and vertical components. In this case, we can break down vector G into its horizontal and vertical components by using trigonometric functions. The vertical component of G will contribute to the torque, while the horizontal component will not. The lever arm will be the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the vertical component of G intersects the slope, which in this case is point D.

To calculate the torque at point B, we can use the formula: τ = F x d, where F is the vertical component of vector G and d is the lever arm. This will give us the magnitude of the torque. To determine the direction of the torque, we can use the right-hand rule, where the direction of the torque is perpendicular to both the force vector and the lever arm.

In summary, to account for vectors at an angle when calculating torque, we can use vector decomposition to find the vertical component of the force and use the lever arm as the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the vertical component intersects the slope. I hope this helps with your problem.

Related to Calculating Torque with Vectors at an Angle

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How do vectors play a role in calculating torque?

Vectors are used to represent the force and distance in calculating torque. The force is represented by a vector with magnitude and direction, while the distance is represented by a vector that points from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

3. Can torque be calculated when the force is at an angle to the axis of rotation?

Yes, torque can be calculated when the force is at an angle to the axis of rotation. This is done by using the component of the force that is perpendicular to the distance vector in the torque calculation.

4. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of measurement for torque is Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system. In the imperial system, it is measured in foot-pounds (ft-lb).

5. How is torque used in real-world applications?

Torque is used in many real-world applications, such as in engines, motors, and machines. It is also used in physics and engineering to analyze the forces and motion of objects.