Calculating Torque & Angular Acceleration of a Current Loop

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of torque and angular acceleration for a small current loop in a lab with a perpendicular magnetic moment to the Earth's magnetic field. The torque is found using the equation T = m x B, where m is equal to IA. The angular acceleration is found by dividing the rotational inertia about a diameter by the torque. The value of B used is the Earth's magnetic field.
ibaraku

Homework Statement

A small current loop of area A = 1.5cm^2 carries current I = 3.6mA. What torque acts on it in a lab where its magnetic moment is perpendicualr to the Earth's magnetic field of
4.2 x 10^-5
(b) Find its angular acceleration if its rotational inertia about a diameter is 6.2gcm^2

Homework Equations

T = m x B
m = IA

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that m = (.015)(.0036) = 5.4 * 10^-5.

T = abs(5.4 * 10^-5) * abs(B) * Sin(PI/2)

I'm a bit confused about what B is, should I use the B for Earth's magnetic field?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, use the given B for the Earth's magnetic field.

If so, is it in the same direction as the magnetic moment of the current loop? Also, for the second part, I'm not sure how to incorporate the rotational inertia into the equation for angular acceleration.

I would approach this problem by first clarifying any uncertainties or questions about the given information. In this case, I would confirm with the instructor or the source of the problem what is meant by "perpendicular to the Earth's magnetic field". I would also ask for the direction of the Earth's magnetic field and how it relates to the magnetic moment of the current loop.

Assuming that the magnetic moment of the current loop is perpendicular to the Earth's magnetic field, I would use the formula T = m x B, where m is the magnetic moment and B is the magnetic field strength. I would then use the given values to calculate the torque acting on the current loop.

For the second part, I would use the formula for angular acceleration, α = τ/I, where τ is the torque calculated in the first part and I is the rotational inertia about a diameter. I would convert the given rotational inertia from gcm^2 to kgm^2 to ensure consistent units. I would then use the calculated torque and the given rotational inertia to solve for the angular acceleration.

Overall, it is important for a scientist to clarify any uncertainties or questions about the given information, and to use appropriate formulas and units to solve the problem accurately.

Related to Calculating Torque & Angular Acceleration of a Current Loop

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. What is angular acceleration and how is it related to torque?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. It is related to torque through the equation: angular acceleration = torque / moment of inertia. This means that the greater the torque applied to an object, the greater the angular acceleration will be.

3. How does a current loop experience torque?

A current loop experiences torque when it is placed in a magnetic field. This is because the magnetic field exerts a force on the moving electrons in the loop, causing it to rotate.

4. What is the moment of inertia and how does it affect the torque experienced by a current loop?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is affected by the shape and mass distribution of the object. A larger moment of inertia means that more torque is required to produce the same angular acceleration in the object.

5. How can I calculate the torque and angular acceleration of a current loop?

To calculate the torque and angular acceleration of a current loop, you will need to know the strength of the magnetic field, the current in the loop, and the dimensions of the loop. You can then use the equations torque = magnetic field x current x area and angular acceleration = torque / moment of inertia to determine the values.