Calculating Tire Pressure Change After a Drive

In summary, the pressure in your car tires will now show approximately 22.2 psi after driving 50.0 mi on the freeway, compared to the initial pressure of 20.0 psi on a cool morning when the temperature was 16.0 C. This can be calculated using the proportion pf/pi = Tf/Ti, where pi is the initial pressure, pf is the final pressure, Ti is the initial temperature, and Tf is the final temperature. However, since no air is being added and the volume is assumed to remain constant, the value of n (number of moles) is not needed in this calculation.
mawalker
On a cool morning, when the temperature is 16.0 C, you measure the pressure in your car tires to be 20.0 psi. After driving 50.0 mi on the freeway, the temperature of your tires is 38.0 C. What pressure will your tire gauge now show?

I have Ti = 289 K
Tf = 311 K
R = 8.31 pressure constant
pinitial = 1.36 atmosphere
n = ?
V = ?
I'm lost...

Physics news on Phys.org
mawalker said:
On a cool morning, when the temperature is 16.0 C, you measure the pressure in your car tires to be 20.0 psi. After driving 50.0 mi on the freeway, the temperature of your tires is 38.0 C. What pressure will your tire gauge now show?

I have Ti = 289 K
Tf = 311 K
n = ?
V = ?
I'm lost...
You are not adding any air, so what happens to n? You can assume the volume does not change. You might need to think about what a tire gauge actually measures.

mawalker said:

I have Ti = 289 K
Tf = 311 K
n = ?
V = ?
I'm lost...
Use proportions: pf/pi=Tf/Ti.

Related to Calculating Tire Pressure Change After a Drive

1. What factors affect tire pressure change after a drive?

There are several factors that can affect tire pressure change after a drive, such as the temperature of the tires, the type of vehicle, the weight of the vehicle, and the driving conditions.

2. How does temperature affect tire pressure change?

As the temperature increases, the air molecules inside the tire expand, causing an increase in tire pressure. Conversely, as the temperature decreases, the air molecules contract, resulting in a decrease in tire pressure.

3. Can driving conditions impact tire pressure change?

Yes, driving conditions such as rough roads, sharp turns, and high speeds can cause the tires to heat up and increase in pressure. Additionally, driving on uneven surfaces can cause uneven tire pressure distribution.

4. How do I calculate the tire pressure change after a drive?

To calculate tire pressure change after a drive, you will need to measure the tire pressure before and after the drive. Then, use the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to calculate the change in pressure, taking into account the temperature and volume of the tires.

5. Why is it important to monitor tire pressure change after a drive?

Maintaining proper tire pressure is crucial for vehicle safety and performance. Underinflated tires can lead to decreased fuel efficiency, uneven tire wear, and potential blowouts. Overinflated tires can also be dangerous, as they are more prone to punctures and can negatively impact handling and braking. Monitoring tire pressure change after a drive can help ensure that your tires are at the optimal pressure for safe and efficient driving.