Calculating Time Interval of Splash from Two Stones Dropped

In summary: Just remember to take a breath then next time and start working from what you know and develop what you can. Then who knows but you may arrive at the answer?
Pakbabydoll
A mountain climber stands at the top of a 59.4 m cliff that over hangs a pool of water. He throws 2 stones vertically downwards 1.77s apart and they cause a single splash.
first stone initial velocity= -2.06m/s
acceleration of gravity 9.8m/s^2
How long after release of first stone will the two hit water? in units of s.

2. what's the formula to do this problem. I am completely lost!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pakbabydoll said:
A mountain climber stands at the top of a 59.4 m cliff that over hangs a pool of water. He throws 2 stones vertically downwards 1.77s apart and they cause a single splash.
first stone initial velocity= -2.06m/s
acceleration of gravity 9.8m/s^2
How long after release of first stone will the two hit water? in units of s.

2. what's the formula to do this problem. I am completely lost!

Which of the kinematic formulas below do you think would be useful getting you the answer?
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

initially I started using
x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2
and
v = v_0 + a t
but I always end up with two unknowns (A and T)
so now I am completely lost.

Pakbabydoll said:
initially I started using
x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2
and
v = v_0 + a t
but I always end up with two unknowns (A and T)
so now I am completely lost.

Start solving for what you can then?

You know the height of the cliff.
You know initial velocity.

Just curious why you think "a" is unknown when they give it to you as 9.8 m/s2.

I got it thanks :) I was just having a panic moment with that problem.

Pakbabydoll said:
I got it thanks :) I was just having a panic moment with that problem.

Just remember to take a breath then next time and start working from what you know and develop what you can. Then who knows but you may arrive at the answer?

Good luck.

Related to Calculating Time Interval of Splash from Two Stones Dropped

1. How do you calculate the time interval of splash from two stones dropped?

To calculate the time interval of splash from two stones dropped, you first need to measure the distance between the two stones from the surface of the water. Next, drop the stones at the same time and start a timer. When the first stone makes contact with the water, stop the timer. This will give you the time interval of the splash.

2. Why is it important to calculate the time interval of splash from two stones dropped?

Calculating the time interval of splash can give you information about the speed and trajectory of the stones as they hit the water. This can be useful in understanding the physics of the drop and can also be used for experiments or demonstrations.

3. What factors can affect the time interval of splash from two stones dropped?

The time interval of splash can be affected by various factors such as the height from which the stones are dropped, the shape and weight of the stones, and the surface tension of the water. Wind and other environmental factors can also have an impact on the time interval.

4. Can the time interval of splash from two stones dropped be used to determine the depth of the water?

No, the time interval of splash cannot be used to determine the depth of the water. This is because the time interval is affected by factors other than the depth of the water, making it an unreliable method for measuring depth.

5. How can the time interval of splash from two stones dropped be used in real-world applications?

The time interval of splash can be used in real-world applications such as studying the impact of objects on water bodies, understanding the behavior of waves, and even in engineering projects that involve water. It can also be used as a fun and interactive way to learn about physics and the principles of motion.