Calculating Time for Turntable Platter to Stop at 0rpm

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using rotational motion theories to calculate the time it takes for a turntable platter to stop spinning. It is determined that the coefficient of friction between the turntable and platter is needed for an accurate calculation. Methods for measuring or estimating this coefficient are suggested, including measuring the force needed to turn the platter or timing how long it takes for the platter to come to a stop. The formula for calculating the coefficient of friction is also provided.
utility_belt
Hi all,

I haven't studied rotational physics in a long time so this may be a stupid question, but here goes. I'm trying to model the properties of a turntable (record player). Using the theories of rotational motion, is it possible to calculate the time it would take for the spinning turntable platter to come to a complete stop when the power to the motor is cut?

Given that I know the starting velocity is 33 rpm, the final velocity is 0rpm and the weight of the platter is 1.996kg is it possible to calculate the time it takes to come to a complete stop?

Thanks for you help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, but you would need to know the coefficient of friction between the turntable and the platter. If there were no friction, the platter would never stop. Once you have the magnitude of the friction force you can find the angular deceleration of the platter and how long it would take for its angular velocity to become 0.

Ah yes, I thought that would be the missing factor. I assume this (the friction between the turntable and the platter) is something that is not so easy to measure/calculate?

If you can find such a turntable, it is very easy to calculate. Just measure how much force it takes to turn it. All you need is a small scale.

The other thing you could do is to time how long it takes to come to a stop. With a little algebraic manipulation you can solve the equation for the coefficient of friction.

Or you could guess. Maybe around .1 ? Does it have bearings?
-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex]V(t) = V_0 + at[/tex]
In our case the platter stops so V(t) is zero:
[tex]t = -\frac{V_0}{a}[/tex]
(a will also be negative so the time will be positive.)

Finding a is just a matter of: (fk being kinetic friction)
[tex]\Sigma F = ma = -f_k = -N\mu = -mg\mu[/tex]
[tex]a = -g\mu[/tex]

Plug that into the formula above:
[tex]t = \frac{V_0}{g\mu}[/tex]
And you're done. :smile:
Or if you have the time and want to find the coefficient of friction:
[tex]\mu = \frac{V_0}{gt}[/tex]

OK,

Thanks Chen. I've measured the time it takes for the turntable to stop, and get an average of about 15 seconds. I'm trying to put that into your last formula, to find the coefficient of friction but am unsure of a couple of variables.

V(0) Velocity is 33.33 rpm so = 3.49 rad/s
t Time is = 15s

So that would make: Coefficient = 3.49 / (g * 15)

Stupid question, what is g?
Thanks.

Related to Calculating Time for Turntable Platter to Stop at 0rpm

1. How do you calculate the time it takes for a turntable platter to stop at 0rpm?

The time it takes for a turntable platter to stop at 0rpm can be calculated using the formula: t = (I*w) / (C*R), where t is the time in seconds, I is the moment of inertia of the platter in kgm^2, w is the initial angular velocity in radians per second, C is the damping coefficient in Nms/rad, and R is the effective radius of the platter in meters.

2. What is the moment of inertia and how does it affect the stopping time of a turntable platter?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of the object's mass. A higher moment of inertia means a longer stopping time, as the platter has more rotational energy to dissipate before coming to a complete stop.

3. How does the damping coefficient affect the stopping time of a turntable platter?

The damping coefficient represents the amount of resistance to motion that a turntable platter experiences. A higher damping coefficient means a faster stopping time, as the platter is able to dissipate its rotational energy more quickly.

4. Can the stopping time of a turntable platter be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as air resistance, friction, and surface imperfections can affect the stopping time of a turntable platter. These factors can increase the overall resistance to motion, resulting in a longer stopping time.

5. Is it possible to adjust the stopping time of a turntable platter?

Yes, the stopping time of a turntable platter can be adjusted by changing the moment of inertia or the damping coefficient. For example, adding a heavier platter or increasing the damping can result in a faster stopping time.