Calculating Time for Train to Stop Moving Up Inclined Mine

In summary, if the engineer tries to pull the train back by exerting a negative force, it will take over four hours for the train to stop moving.
Aggie
An engine is used to pull a train of 2 cars out of a mine. The floor of themine slopes upward at an angle of 30 degrees. Each car has a mass of 10^4 kg and travels without friction. The engine can exert a max force of 1.5 * 10^5 N

if the engineer trttles back so that the force exerted by the engine on car A decreases at the constant rate of 3N per second, how long before the train stops moving up the track? Assume the original speed was 3 meters per second

Net Force = F - rate
I think

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...

Draw a force diagram, try setting out the relevant equations and it should be straight forward.

There is no friction so its just a matter of when the cars forward force is balanced by gravity pulling it down-hill.

Aggie said:
Net Force = F - rate

You have not considered the force down the plane due to the component of weight in that direction. Once you've taken this from the F-rate*time (you must multiply the rate by time so that force decreases with time) you have the full expression for net force.

Then use net Force=ma, rearrange to get a=... and integrate with respect to time to find an expression for velocity (add the 3m/s initial velocity on here). This should leave you with a quadratic in time which you solve to find when the velocity is zero. (The answer I got was over 4 hours)

This question is complicated by the fact that acceleration is not uniform but changes with time so we cannot apply the equations of uniform acceleration here.

When I first read this question I made the same mistake as H_man and thought we needed to find the time till the forces are balanced. But of course at this point the train still has forward velocity and must be decelerated back to zero by a negative force down the plane.

Related to Calculating Time for Train to Stop Moving Up Inclined Mine

1. How do you calculate the time for a train to stop moving up an inclined mine?

The time for a train to stop moving up an inclined mine can be calculated using the formula t = (v - u) / a, where t is the time, v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the acceleration due to gravity in an inclined mine?

The acceleration due to gravity in an inclined mine is the same as the acceleration due to gravity on Earth, which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2. However, this value may vary slightly depending on the angle of the incline and the location of the mine.

3. Can the time for a train to stop moving up an inclined mine be affected by the weight of the train?

Yes, the time for a train to stop moving up an inclined mine can be affected by the weight of the train. A heavier train will have a greater inertia and will take longer to stop compared to a lighter train.

4. How can the angle of the incline affect the time for a train to stop moving up an inclined mine?

The angle of the incline can affect the time for a train to stop moving up an inclined mine as it determines the amount of force needed to overcome gravity and stop the train. A steeper incline will require more force and will therefore take longer to stop compared to a gentler incline.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the time for a train to stop moving up an inclined mine?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the time for a train to stop moving up an inclined mine, such as the condition of the train's brakes, the type of surface on the incline, and the presence of any obstacles or curves on the track. These factors can all influence the train's deceleration and therefore impact the time it takes to stop.