Calculating Time for Falling Crate in Projectile Motion

In summary, A cargo plane flying at an altitude of 10.1 km with a speed of 910 km/h has a crate fall out of the rear loading ramp. The crate takes 252.78 m/s to hit the ground, with an acceleration of -9.81 m/s^2. The equations used to solve for the time are Xf = Xi + Vxi*t and Yf = Yi + Vyi*t - 4.905(t)^2. The value for Vyi is 0, and the time can be solved for by plugging in the values for the other variables.
bringme2life
This is my first post here so please bear with me if I'm doing something wrong

Homework Statement

A cargo plane is flying horizontally at an altitude of 10.1 km with a speed of 910 km/h when a large crate falls out of the rear loading ramp. (Ignore any effects due to air resistance.) How long does it take the crate to hit the ground?

I converted everything to meters.

Yf = 0m
Yi = 10100m
Yxi = 252.78 m/s
g = -9.81 m/s

Homework Equations

Xf = Xi + Vxi*t
Yf = Yi + Vyi*t - 4.905(t)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is figuring out Vyi in this case so that I can plug it into my second equation to solve for time. Can anyone give me a push in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the given problem vyi = 0.

Hello and welcome to the forum!
To solve this problem, we can use the equation for projectile motion:
Yf = Yi + Vyi*t - 1/2*g*t^2
We know that the initial vertical velocity (Vyi) is 0, since the crate is initially only moving horizontally. Therefore, the equation becomes:
Yf = Yi - 1/2*g*t^2
Plugging in the values given in the problem, we get:
0 = 10100 - 1/2*9.81*t^2
Solving for t, we get t = 45.22 seconds.
Therefore, it will take approximately 45 seconds for the crate to hit the ground.

Hope this helps!

Related to Calculating Time for Falling Crate in Projectile Motion

1. What is falling projectile motion?

Falling projectile motion is the motion of an object that is dropped or thrown and moves under the influence of gravity alone. It follows a parabolic path due to the combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

2. What factors affect falling projectile motion?

The factors that affect falling projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the acceleration due to gravity, and air resistance. These factors determine the shape and distance of the projectile's path.

3. How is the velocity of a falling projectile calculated?

The velocity of a falling projectile can be calculated using the formula v = gt, where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time elapsed. This formula assumes that there is no air resistance present.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in falling projectile motion?

Horizontal motion in falling projectile motion is constant and unaffected by gravity, while vertical motion is affected by gravity and is accelerated downwards. The combination of these two motions creates a curved path for the falling object.

5. How does increasing the angle of launch affect falling projectile motion?

Increasing the angle of launch will result in a longer flight time and a longer horizontal distance traveled by the projectile. However, at higher angles, the vertical distance traveled decreases. The maximum distance is achieved at a 45-degree angle.