Calculating Time for a Stone to Hit the Ground from a 100m Cliff

In summary, the question asks for the time it takes for a stone thrown horizontally from a 100 m high cliff with an initial speed of 10.0 m/s to hit the ground. After attempting to use the kinematics equations, the correct answer of 4.52 seconds was determined. It was also noted that if the stone were dropped instead of thrown, it would still take 4.52 seconds to hit the ground.
Resmo112

Homework Statement

30. A stone is thrown horizontally from a 100 m high cliff with an initial speed of 10.0 m/s. How long does it take to hit the ground?*

A.* 14.5 s

B.* 4.52 s

C.* 10.2 s

D.* 6.27 s
E. 19.2 s

Homework Equations

The 4 kinematics equations
DeltaV=a*t
DeltaX=vi*t+1/2a*T^2
Vf^2-Vi^2=2aDeltaX
DeltaX=1/2(Vf+vi)*t

The Attempt at a Solution

well first I tried to find the final velocity then use the change in velocity to get the time and I got 3.61s but the answer is 4.52 seconds, so I was told that since you're looking at a stone thrown horizontally so you're looking at a vector in 2 dimensions. so I set Vf to Zero where the velocity becomes 0 at the apex and i get 1.02 and obviously that's not the answer either. I'm really kind of stumped on this one and I don't see what else I can do. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Suppose the stone were simply dropped, would it take any longer to hit the ground?

olivermsun said:
Suppose the stone were simply dropped, would it take any longer to hit the ground?

NO! And I don't know why this was so hard, the X direction had a initial velocity of 10 m/s but the velocity in the y direction is still 0 so the answer is just squrrt2(100)/9.8 = t (reworked equation of X=1/2a*t2. THANK YOU SO MUcH THAT WAS DRIVING ME NUTS!

Related to Calculating Time for a Stone to Hit the Ground from a 100m Cliff

What are the basic kinematics equations used in homework problems?

The basic kinematics equations used in homework problems are:

• Position: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
  • Velocity: v = v0 + at
  • Acceleration: a = (v - v0)/t
  • Final velocity: vf² = v0² + 2aΔx
  • Displacement: Δx = (v + v0)t/2

What are the units of measurement used in kinematics equations?

The units of measurement used in kinematics equations are:

• Position: meters (m)
  • Velocity: meters per second (m/s)
  • Acceleration: meters per second squared (m/s²)
  • Time: seconds (s)

How do I apply the kinematics equations to solve a homework problem?

To apply the kinematics equations to solve a homework problem, follow these steps:

1. Read the problem carefully and identify the given values.
  2. Determine which kinematics equation is most appropriate to use based on the given information and what is being asked in the problem.
  3. Plug in the values into the appropriate equation and solve for the unknown variable.
  4. Check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and making sure it is consistent with the given information.

What should I do if I encounter a problem with multiple moving objects?

If you encounter a problem with multiple moving objects, you can solve it by using the same steps as a single object problem. The only difference is that you will have to set up separate equations for each object and consider the interactions between them, such as collisions or changes in direction. Additionally, you may need to use vector notation to represent the motion of each object.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving kinematics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving kinematics problems are:

• Not paying attention to the given units of measurement and using the wrong units in the equations.
  • Not considering the direction of motion and using incorrect signs for velocity and acceleration.
  • Forgetting to account for the initial or final state of the object, such as forgetting to include initial velocity or assuming the object starts from rest.
  • Using the wrong kinematics equation for the given problem.
  • Not checking the consistency of the answer with the given information.