Calculating Time for a Simple Pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a simple pendulum and the time it takes to reach the lowest point as a function of its radius. The equation of motion for a simple pendulum is also provided, along with the suggestion to use an approximation of the period. The conversation also mentions an accurate formula for the period of a simple pendulum, along with criticism of the reference provided.
ursubaloo
Consider the following problem: (this isn't homework, I thought this problem up myself and I'm wondering how to do it)

-------------------------------------
You have a simple pendulum of mass M and a radius R, which is released from the horizontal. How much time does it take to reach the lowest point, as a function of R?
-------------------------------------

It's easy to find the velocity as a function of the angle, but I couldn't figure out a way to factor time into it. There is also an approximation of the period of an osscilating pendulum which is equal to 2pi*root(L/g), but that holds only for small angle values.
So how do you do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's easy to find the velocity as a function of the angle, but I couldn't figure out a way to factor time into it.

v=dx/dt-> just separate and integrate.

Write the total mechanical energy balance and then use the definition of velocity.

Daniel.

P.S.It's an elliptic integral of the first kind at the end.

The equation of motion for a simple pendulum is
[tex]\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}= -(g/l) sin(\theta)[/tex].
Since t does not appear explicitely, if we let [itex]\omega[/itex] be the angular speed, we can convert this to
[tex]\omega\frac{d\omega}{d\theta}= -(g/l) sin(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]\omega d\omega= -(g/l) sin(\theta)d\theta[/tex]
which can be integrated to give
[tex]\omega^2= (2m/l) cos(\theta)+ C[/tex]
Taking [itex]\theta= \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] when [itex]\omega= 0[/itex]
(releasing the pendulum from rest at the horizontal), we get
[tex]\omega^2= (2m/)(cos(\theta)- 1)[/tex]
I presume that is what ursubaloo meant saying "It's easy to find the velocity as a function of the angle".

brentd49 is correct saying "just separate and integrate", except for the word "just". As dextercioby said, that's an elliptic integral and can only be done numerically.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's unbelieveble that there are people nowadays which don't use latex when writing an article & post it on "arxiv"... :

Daniel.

It's also sometimes unbelievable the feeble stuff some people publish. Elliptic integrals have been investigated for over a 100 years, and many approximations superior to the one given in this reference have been worked out. All they had to do was look.

Related to Calculating Time for a Simple Pendulum

1. How do I calculate the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the bob, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is independent of the amplitude of the pendulum's swing and the mass of the bob.

3. How does the length of the pendulum affect its period?

The length of the pendulum has a direct relationship with its period. As the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases. This can be seen in the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where a longer length (L) will result in a longer period (T).

4. How does the mass of the bob affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The mass of the bob does not affect the period of a simple pendulum. This is because the gravitational force acting on the pendulum is directly proportional to the mass of the bob, and this force cancels out in the equation for the period (T = 2π√(L/g)).

5. How can I use a simple pendulum to measure time?

A simple pendulum can be used as an accurate time measurement tool by measuring the period of the pendulum and using the formula T = 2π√(L/g). By adjusting the length of the pendulum, the period can be manipulated to match a desired time interval, making it a reliable timekeeping device.