Calculating time derivative of Magnetic force

In summary, the magnetic force is due to the interaction of particles and is represented by the equation:\vec{F} = \frac{\mu_{0} q_{1} q_{2}}{4\pi r^{2}} \vec{v_{1}} \times (\vec{v_{2}} \times \hat{r}) = \frac{\mu_{0} q_{1} q_{2}}{4\pi r^{2}}((\vec{v_{1}} \cdot \hat{r}) \vec{v_{2}} - (\vec{v_{1}} \cdot \vec{v_{2}}) \hat{r})
Sagekilla
Hi all, I ran into a bit of an issue trying to figure out how to properly differentiate the magnetic force due to particle interactions. To be specific, I'm actually looking for the time derivative of acceleration (jerk) due to the magnetic force, but it's essentially the same problem.

For the record, this is not homework at all. It's something I require for a n-body simulation I'm doing, and I need to calculate jerk to do higher order integrations.

I know that the magnetic force is, in expanded form:
[tex]\vec{F} = \frac{\mu_{0} q_{1} q_{2}}{4\pi r^{2}} \vec{v_{1}} \times (\vec{v_{2}} \times \hat{r}) = \frac{\mu_{0} q_{1} q_{2}}{4\pi r^{2}}((\vec{v_{1}} \cdot \hat{r}) \vec{v_{2}} - (\vec{v_{1}} \cdot \vec{v_{2}}) \hat{r})[/tex]

Where r-hat is the unit vector pointing from particle 2 to particle 1, and r is the distance between the two particles.

I don't even know where to begin to do this. I understand I need the chain rule but when I tried doing the same for a simpler vector (gravitational acceleration), the actual result ended up having a bunch of dot products in there that I had no idea how to get.

Can anyone guide me in the right way?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you do the chain rule you will get, in addition to the derivative of velocity, derivatives of r and r_hat. I suppose you are asking what those will be. You start by writing them out as the particle position vector:

[tex] \vec{r} = \vec{r_1} - \vec{r_2}[/tex]

[tex]\hat{r} = \frac{\vec{r_1} - \vec{r_2}}{|\vec{r_1} - \vec{r_2}|}[/tex]

when you take the time derivative of these you get derivatives of the position vectors, which is also the velocity of the particle.

Well, if I start with something simple like the position unit vector:

[tex] \frac{d}{dt}\hat{r} = \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\vec{r_{1}} - \vec{r_{2}}} {| \vec{r_{1}} - \vec{r_{2}} |}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\hat{r} = \frac{|\vec{r_{1}} - \vec{r_{2}}| (\vec{v_{1}} - \vec{v_{2}}) - |\vec{r_{1}} - \vec{r_{2}}|'(\vec{r_{1}} - \vec{r_{2}}) } {|\vec{r_{1}} - \vec{r_{2}}|^{2}} [/tex]

My problem here is: How do I differentiate the |r1 - r2| properly?

sorry, i will try to derive it here

if

[tex]r^2 = \vec{r}\cdot\vec{r}[/tex]

then

[tex] \frac{dr^2}{dt} = \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}\cdot\vec{r} + \vec{r}\cdot\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt} = 2\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}\cdot\vec{r}[/tex]

[tex]r = \sqrt{r^2}[/tex]

so,

[tex] \frac{dr}{dt} = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{r^2}}\frac{dr^2}{dt} = \frac{1}{r}\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}\cdot\vec{r} = \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}\cdot\hat{r}[/tex]

where

[tex]\hat{r} = \frac{\vec{r}}{r}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\hat{r}}{dt} = \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}\frac{1}{r} - \frac{\vec{r}}{r^2}\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]

finally

[tex]\frac{d\hat{r}}{dt} = \frac{1}{r}(\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt} - (\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}\cdot\hat{r})\hat{r})[/tex]

and substitute in the vector r_1 - r_2 for r.

Ah, thank you. My biggest issue with differentiating the above equations was trying to figure out how the the norm of a vector would differentiate with respect to a variable.

I'll work these out and post my results.

Related to Calculating time derivative of Magnetic force

What is the formula for calculating the time derivative of magnetic force?

The formula for calculating the time derivative of magnetic force is dF/dt = q(v x B), where dF/dt is the time derivative of force, q is the charge of the particle, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

What does the time derivative of magnetic force represent?

The time derivative of magnetic force represents the change in magnetic force over time. It measures how quickly the magnetic force acting on a particle is changing.

How is the time derivative of magnetic force related to the motion of a charged particle?

The time derivative of magnetic force is related to the motion of a charged particle because it determines the acceleration of the particle in a magnetic field. This acceleration is perpendicular to both the velocity and the magnetic field.

What is the unit of measurement for the time derivative of magnetic force?

The unit of measurement for the time derivative of magnetic force is Newtons per second (N/s) or equivalently, Joules per Coulomb (J/C).

How is the time derivative of magnetic force used in practical applications?

The time derivative of magnetic force is used in many practical applications, such as in the design and operation of electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. It is also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in space, such as in the Earth's magnetic field.