Calculating Time and Velocity in a Projectile Motion Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a car going off a ramp at a 10 degree angle and landing 20 meters away with a change in height of 1.5 meters. The equations given are used to find the time it takes for the car to reach its landing point. After some confusion, the individual realizes they need to plug equations into each other and eventually figures out that the key is to use the equation t = (20.33/v) and plug it into delta X = VxoT.
Rubix
3rd week in AP physics... can't figure this out :'(

Homework Statement

delta X = 20m
delta Y = -1.5m
angle = 10 degrees

basically, a car goes off a 10 degree ramp and lands 20 meters away and the delta Y is 1.5m... my assumption is that I need to find T first.

Homework Equations

we are given 4 equations:
delta X = VxoT
Vy = Vyo + AyT
delta Y = VyoT + (1/2)AyT^2
Vy^2 = Vyo^2 + 2Ay(delta Ymax)

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no attempt.

Physics news on Phys.org
y=y0+vxt-1/2gt2

you want to find t when y=0 (y0=1.5)

rock.freak667 said:
y=y0+vxt-1/2gt2

you want to find t when y=0 (y0=1.5)

I don't know what Vx is.

Rubix said:
I don't know what Vx is.

the angle θ=10

so vx=vcosθ

and vy=vsinθ

Also I made a typo,the equation should be

[tex]y=y_0 +v_y t -\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

(not vx in it)

A hint: You must plug one equation into another on this one, this will result in the removal of Vo from an equation and leaving only time.

I still need help, I know i need to plug in equations into each other but I'm not sure which ones

figured it out, the key was

t = (20.33/v)

then i plugged that into this eqn:

delta X = VxoT

Related to Calculating Time and Velocity in a Projectile Motion Problem

1. How do you solve for time with 3 unknowns?

The process of solving for time with 3 unknowns involves using a system of equations to isolate the variable for time. This can be done by setting up equations for each unknown and then solving for time by substituting the values into one of the equations.

2. What are the 3 unknowns in finding time?

The 3 unknowns in finding time are distance, speed, and time itself. These variables are related by the formula: time = distance/speed.

3. Can you find time if you only know 2 of the 3 unknowns?

No, it is not possible to find time with only 2 unknowns. You need to know all 3 variables in order to solve for time.

4. Are there any shortcuts for finding time with 3 unknowns?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts that can be used to solve for time with 3 unknowns. One method is to set up a proportion using the known values and the unknown time variable. Another method is to use the quadratic formula if the equations involve squared terms.

5. How can finding time with 3 unknowns be applied in real life?

Finding time with 3 unknowns is a common problem in physics and engineering. It can be used to calculate travel time, determine the speed of an object, or solve for unknown distances. It can also be applied in financial and economic analysis, such as calculating the time it takes for an investment to reach a certain value.