Calculating thickness of a cast iron cylinder carrying pressure of 30Nmm^2

In summary, the question is asking for the thickness of a cast-iron cylinder with a 300mm bore and a pressure of 30N/mm^2, given a unit working stress of 25N/mm^2. Using the formula o1=pd/2t, the thickness is calculated to be 180mm.
joe465
1. Homework Statement

A cast-iron cylinder of 300mm bore carries a pressure of 30 Newtons per square
millimetre; what should be its thickness for a unit working stress of 25 Newtons per
square millimetre?

2. Homework Equations

ó1 = pd/2t

t=pd/2tó1

3. The Attempt at a Solution

t=pd/2tó1

t= 30*300/2*25

=180mm

Its got to be wrong as its way too big but I am unsure on where I am going wrong, any help would be much appreciated.

Heres another attempt

ó1/pd=2t

25/(30*3000) = 2t

2t = 0.00277778

t= 0.0014mm (4dp)

Maybes this one, I am not sure.

Thanks, Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you check the quantities and units in the question. Also I think you have some typos in your relevant equations and solutions.

Thankyou for your reply.

This is the best i can get.

Assuming that the cylinder is a thin cylinder

o1 = pd/2t

where o1=Stress on the cylinder

This stress is the circumferential stress on the cylinder

p= Pressure

d=Diameter of he cylinder bore

t= thickness

Now we have been given

o1=25 N/mm^2

P=30N/mm^2

d=300mm

SO

We know

o1 = pd/2t

So the design criteria for the thickness becomes

SO t=pd/2o1 = (30x300)/(2x25)= 9000/50 = 180

Its thickness should be 180 mm .

Last edited:

Related to Calculating thickness of a cast iron cylinder carrying pressure of 30Nmm^2

1. How do you calculate the thickness of a cast iron cylinder carrying pressure of 30Nmm^2?

The formula for calculating the thickness of a cylinder under pressure is t = PD/2SE, where t is the thickness, P is the pressure, D is the diameter of the cylinder, S is the allowable stress for the material, and E is the modulus of elasticity for the material.

2. What units should be used for each variable in the thickness calculation formula?

The pressure (P) should be in units of Newtons per square millimeter (Nmm^2), the diameter (D) should be in millimeters (mm), the allowable stress (S) should be in units of Nmm^-2, and the modulus of elasticity (E) should be in units of Nmm^-2.

3. Is the thickness of the cylinder affected by the shape of the cylinder?

No, the thickness calculation formula applies to cylinders of any shape as long as the pressure is evenly distributed on all sides of the cylinder.

4. Can the thickness of the cylinder be calculated for a different pressure value?

Yes, the thickness calculation formula can be used for any pressure value as long as the units are consistent.

5. How does the material of the cylinder affect the thickness calculation?

The material of the cylinder affects the allowable stress (S) and the modulus of elasticity (E) in the thickness calculation formula. Different materials have different properties, so the values for S and E may vary and will affect the resulting thickness calculation.