Calculating Thermal Expansion and Bending in a Pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a pipe of 10m and 16" diameter that has steam flowing through it. There is a difference in temperature at the top and bottom of the pipe due to inaccurate desuperheating, which can cause bending in the pipe. The temperature difference is caused by water not evaporating during the desuperheating process. The group discusses possible ways to calculate the height by which the pipe would rise due to bending, including considering the coefficient of expansion for the steel alloy material and calculating the increase in length at the top of the pipe.
the4thworld
I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some info on a problem I am facing.

I have a pipe of 10m and 16" diameter. It has steam flowing through it, and due to inaccurate desuperheating we have a difference of temperatures at the bottom at top of the pipe.

Assuming we have a temperature of 220 deg C at the top of the pipe and 110 deg C at the bottom, we would have bending in the pipe due to differential expansion right?

The temperature difference is due to the desuperheating process not working as it should so there is water in the pipe that hasnt evaporated and thus falling down to the bottom of the pipe thus reducing temperature.

I wanted to know if there is a way to find out the height by which the pipe would rise due to bending.

The pipe is of P11 material( steel alloy)

thanks
Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think the steam would mix top and bottom, reducing the top-bottom temperature difference with distance.

However, assuming that it does not. An approximate calculation is possible.

If you know the coefficient of expansion for the type of steel, you can calculate the increase in lengths of the top. Then consider the end points fixed and compute the radii of an arc with that length. That is a first order magnitude guess of how much it rises.

Related to Calculating Thermal Expansion and Bending in a Pipe

1. What is thermal expansion in a pipe?

Thermal expansion in a pipe is the phenomenon in which a pipe expands or contracts due to changes in temperature. When a pipe is heated, its molecules gain energy and move around more, causing the pipe to expand. Conversely, when a pipe is cooled, its molecules lose energy and move around less, causing the pipe to contract.

2. Why is thermal expansion in a pipe important?

Thermal expansion in a pipe is important because it can cause stress and strain on the pipe, potentially leading to damage or failure. It can also affect the accuracy and reliability of measurements taken in the pipe, such as flow rates.

3. How does the material of the pipe affect thermal expansion?

The material of the pipe can greatly affect its thermal expansion. Different materials have different coefficients of thermal expansion, which determine how much the pipe will expand or contract in response to temperature changes. For example, metals generally have a higher coefficient of thermal expansion compared to plastics, meaning they will expand more for the same change in temperature.

4. How can thermal expansion in a pipe be controlled?

There are several ways to control thermal expansion in a pipe. One method is by using expansion joints, which are flexible sections of pipe that can absorb the expansion and contraction without causing strain on the rest of the pipe. Another method is by using anchored supports, which allow the pipe to expand and contract without moving or causing damage. Insulating the pipe can also help to reduce the effects of thermal expansion.

5. What are the potential risks of not accounting for thermal expansion in a pipe?

If thermal expansion is not properly accounted for, it can lead to a variety of issues. These include pipe damage or failure, leaks, inaccurate measurements, and safety hazards. It is important to consider thermal expansion when designing and installing pipes to ensure their longevity and functionality.